Trying to make an informed decision for a VBAC

After a 40 hour long intense labor with my first child, I was talked into signing the paperwork (with no immediate risk to my baby or myself, for strictly the reason of Failure to Progress) for a very unwanted C-Section. They wheeled me in crying & my imagined birth turned into something that only mothers who have had an unplanned c-section can relate with. To top it off with a cherry, the doctor (who I never saw before and never saw again) botched my staple job & I am now a young woman with a battle scar that many other c-section victims are able to avoid.

My very supportive military husband & I are pregnant with our second. I am determined to deliver vaginally. I have done alot of research & am familiar with the uterine rupture rates etc. I am tired of looking at numbers & would like to hear from you instead.

Afterall, another cesarean is not without risk, both to the mother and to baby but we want many more children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sorry i cannot relate because i have never had a c-section but i just wanted to say that i think the risks of repeat c-section are greater than the risks of vbac so go for it! but i also think you should prepare for the chance that you might have to have a repeat section if things don't go as planned. most likely you will be successful though, if you have done your research and find a good provider, be it midwife, or ob. i think vbac is the very best goal and i wish you the best!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well I didnt have a c-section but I was told you should only have 3. And it sounds like really didnt WANT or NEED the first one. And that it was done soley because the doctor's wanted to speed things up, so I would say go ahead with the VBAC and make sure you tell your doctor that is what you WANT and that you are going to try as hard as possible to have one!!! Good luck, I hope your VBAC goes perfectly!!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• also, for a VBAC you need to let nature run its couse, you cant have an induction (which Im sure you know). But just let your body do what it needs to!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 4:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• are you stll on tricare?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:18 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• First things first, FIND AN EXCELLENT DOCTOR that SUPPORTS you!! I unfortunately did not, and when I found this out it was too late, no new doctor would take me as a patient...read my journal post...You can do this!! Good LUCK!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• OH yeah and DO NOT be open to an induction because all those medical "interventions" create a domino effect that only leads to a c-section...I have had two and the second one I found HARD and still lost....don't know if I will ever have another baby because of it and I absolutely refused to see the doctors that I had seen for the entire pregnancy for my six week check up...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• ** FOUGHT hard and still lost....my bad!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Check around in your area and see if you can find an OB that allows VBAC, or you can opt for a midwife, most support VBAC depending on your incision location, up and down c-section from what I understand is more dangerous for a rupture but the normal transverse does not carry a high risk of rupture. Also a doula is a great support system to have with you and help you achieve your goal.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Have you visited an ICAN meeting or the camemom group, VBAC moms?
    Are you planning an out-of-hospital birth (to maximize your chances for success)?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• thank you all for your super quick responses...

to piwife: yes i am still on tricare...i know they "don't allow" vbacs at our on post hospital and they're probably not covered...so we'll be saving up for this one out of pocket.

to midnightmoma: i had what they sometimes call a low bikini sec the first time, supposedly this is the one with the least risk for a vbac.

to doulala: visiting ican right now...

thank you all so much!
    CafeMomBinky

Answer by CafeMomBinky at 5:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009