Where are all the moms like me (old fashioned?)?

So I'm 23 and expecting a baby soon. It seems like everywhere I look online or in catalogs or wherever that there just aren't many moms out there like me. I have an old-fashioned parenting style and I plan on bottlefeeding rather than breastfeeding, am not into all the organic stuff, am a stay at home mom who simply stays home and does NOT work from home. Therefore, I seem to be really weird and abnormal in today's society. I'm of the opinion that grandmothers give better advice than most of the doctors and that there is tons of useless "knowledge" out there that is really not accurate and is just scaring new mothers. Are there any other moms out there that are somewhere on the same page as me??

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• im the same way, but i think bottlefeeding isnt old fashioned i think back then they did nothing but breast feed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am with you except I work a full time job outside the home.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am with you except I do breast and bottle.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 4:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I hear ya.
    There is a lot of useless and ever changing info out there to boggle the minds of those just figuring stuff out.

However, you might get arguments that breastfeeding is "modern" LOL.

I did both bottle and breast but mostly bottle cuz breastfeeding wasnt good for us. I dont do organic although I like the idea of some green things(like I make my own cleanser) but I dont do it cuz its the "in" thing to do. Its a budget friendly thing to do LOL(for us anyway).

We eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs sometimes and my kids eat pop tarts sometimes too and have yet to fall apart.

Grandmas do give good advice as do other moms but Im firmly a heart-led parent. I dont go by what anyone else says although I do hear the advice and appreciate it I just dont normally follow it(which has cost me friendships).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You thing BOTTLE feeding is old fashioned?

Apart from that... what reason on earth is there to not breastfeed if you are a stay at home mom and you love your baby?
    Just TRY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You want to stay home and focus on taking care of your family? You think Doctors and the media are making too big of an issue of things? You think that good advice comes from older people who have done it and raise a successful generation? You see nothing wrong with the bottle? YOUR CRAZY!!!!
    Glad I am not the only one out there.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from, seems anymore these days if you don't breastfeed your doing your child a great disservice. Which, I have no opinion either way, I breastfed all but one of my kids(my oldest) and he was the one with the healthiest immune system out of all my kids it seemed. LOL I can honestly attest to the fact that nowadays it's more doctor's "opinions" vs. Medical fact. I watched a lewis black comedy special and he was saying how we all use to drink water from a hose, and then they were saying you arent suppose to do that nowadays instead drink BOTTLED water. It was fine for us growing up wasn't it? LOL

Anyway, I'm in the "middle" when it comes to parenting. I love giving my kids soy milk for a treat, and would love for them to eat more veggies and less red meat, that doesn't mean they don't get their fair share of "taboo snacks" in a day LOL chips, ice cream, candy.... once in a blue moon SODA!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• perhaps old fashioned wasn't the best word, but i couldn't think how else to describe it. i'm just not a hip, new trendy mom like in all the baby catalogs cause i just dont buy into a lot of that sorta thing. it seems like moms like me are looked down for not fitting into the hip new mom scene, and it's worrying.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i hope to breastfeed if i can... but only for a couple of months. I dont like the whole idea of it but I want to give it a try... one its free milk and good for my baby.. but i am weirded out by it a little. I think i have some old fashion beliefs... and and grateful. I do work... I wish I could stay home with my baby when she comes... but unf I can not afford to do so.

one thing i try to do is cook a good meal and have us all sit at the table together. It gets on my nerves when my DH wants to get us to eat in living room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yeah i know it, cinderamethyst! i dont want to feed him junk all day, but just because i dont wanna spend our whole paycheck at whole foods market doesnt make me a bad mom! and yeah i know its like how come all of our moms and grandmothers are alive if all the old ways of doing stuff is so wrong and horrible! lol!
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009