Ideas on how to give back to generous parents

My parents are wonderful people and have helped me and my SO through our first child together. He has 2 from a previous marriage, so we've been frazzled! Not only did my SO lose his job, I lost mine when I was 6 months preggo so my folks are paying all of my hospital bills. I drove down for a visit on Labor Day and my dad hands me keys to a new minivan saying, "This is for you and your family." Needless to say, I was speechless and still am!!

Anybody have any ideas on how to 'repay' them? We have no extra money to spend and I can't think of anything that will be good enough!! I know they'd appreciate a nice dinner and such, but that just doesn't seem like enough to me. What is your opinion??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just mail them a heart felt thank you and explain that you know it could never be thanks enough to make up all that they have done for you.
    I constantly thank my parents and kind of acknowledge how I much I owe them from the last couple years. I think it is good enough for them when they see that we are getting back on our feet and being able to survive on our own again.

Or tell them to take it out of your inheiritance!! (that only works if you have a family with a great sense of humor like mine!)
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 4:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just pay kindness forward. That will please any parent and it shows that what they taught you paid off

Answer by admckenzie at 4:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree pay it forward. I also have very generous parents and I make a point of taking lots of picures for them, mailing them art from our son, and making sure tehy are involved as they want to be since they live 6hours away. I also give them first shot at holidays, birthdays, ect if we can get there for them.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• thats awsome
    i think a nice scrap book made by you of you and your fam would be liked
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Whenever I thank them, my parents say, "It's okay. Remember, you'll be wiping our butts when we get old." It makes me laugh all the time! I love their sense of humor
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Are any of the kids old enough to make cards or draw pictures? Grandparents (and parents) love that sort of thing.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The kids are 6, 2, and 3 months. I'm able to send them videos of the infant and we visit back and forth about every 2 weeks or so (since they're only an hour away). They don't see the other two much since we only get them every other weekend. I think this weekend I'll take everyone for their first ride in the family van then we'll draw pictures and make thank you cards! :o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009