What vegetables from your garden do you freeze? and How do you do it?

I want to freeze green peppers for making stuffed green peppers later. Right now the peppers are in my fridge and have been there awhile. I don't want them to go bad, they are from my garden. However I don't plan to make stuffed green peppers for at least a week or so. Any ideas how this can be done? Can it be done? and what do I do to make it happen?
Also I am getting an overly abundant crop of tomatoes and I am so afraid they will go bad on me. That also includes cherry tomatoes...and while I am on the subject of tomatoes...can a person make chili out of cherry tomatoes or does it have to be from the big ones. Thanks so much in advance..

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 4:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Freezing Vegetables is just like freezing fruits, except you won't be adding sugar to the product. Instead you will be blanching the vegetables before putting them into the freezer. Blanching is when you take a product and submerge it into boiling water for a short period of time. This kills enzymes that age the product.(Your food will takes fresher with blanching.) Afterwards, to stop the cooking process, you will submerge the product into cold water. You will still need to leave a headspace on some vegetables. Then the vegetables will be ready to put into your freezer.

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 4:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Cook the stuffed peppers and then freeze them. I freeze frozen, sauteed peppers (for chili, sauces, etc.)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• FREEZE THEM AS IS!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• blanch the tomatoes...or go crazy and learn how to can them.

To Freez, I cut them up. I lay down foil in a roaster pan, and spread the pieces out so their not touching. Then another layer of foil on top, and another layer of spread out veggies, and so on till it's full.

I carefully place this in the freezer, then after it's frozen, I take it from the freezer and move all the veggies into freezer bags.

This technique is great because the veggies won't be all stuck together in one giant frozen glob. Each piece stays separate. Works great for fruit too.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I freeze my peppers as is. I just cut them like I would for stuffed peppers or dice them up for chili etc and place them in freezer bags. Make salsa with your tomatoes.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009