Anyone know anything about craniosynostosis?

My daughter is a month and a half. Today at her doctor appointment they told me the soft spot on the back of her head was closed and the one on top is almost closed. I heard its not supposed to close until they are 2 years old. She's not even 2 months yet. She looks normal, no abnormalities, but as a first time mom, I'm scared. Can anyone ofer any info or advice? Thanx

ArmyMommy89

Asked by ArmyMommy89 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Health

• did the dr seemed concerned? i dont knwo anything about that. wikipedia is pretty cool....can find out about almost anything on there. i wish you luck, and hope for the best momma
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The cause of craniosynostosis is unknown. Which suture is involved determines the abnormal shape of the head.

A person's genes may play a role in craniosynostosis. The hereditary form often occurs with other defects that can cause seizures, diminished intellectual capacity, and blindness. Genetic disorders commonly associated with craniosynostosis include Crouzon, Apert, Carpenter, Chotzen, and Pfeiffer syndromes.

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 5:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Treatment
    The main treatment for craniosynostosis is surgery. Surgery is done while the baby is still an infant. The goals of surgery are:

Relieve any pressure on the brain
    Make sure there is enough room in the skull to allow the brain to properly grow
    Improve the appearance of the child's head
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 5:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Overview
    Craniosynostosis is a congenital (present at birth) defect that causes one or more sutures on a baby's head to close earlier than normal. Sutures are connections that separate each individual skull bones. The early closing of a suture leads to an abnormally shaped head.

Symptoms
    Absence of the normal feeling of a "soft spot" (fontanelle) on the newborn's skull
    Disappearance of the fontanelle early
    A raised hard ridge along the affected sutures
    Unusual head shape
    Slow or no increase in the head size over time as the baby grows
    JoyandLove

• I have two friends who have had babies with this condition. Both children needed to have surgery at about 7 months old to correct. Both are fine today...one is a happy healthy 4 year old boy and the other is a happy healthy 7 yr old girl.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:09 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If you'd like I can put you in touch with one of them to give you more info on her experience. Just send me a pm and I'll get your info and have her send you an email (she is not on CM)
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/craniosynostosis/DS00959/DSECTION=symptoms

this has a lot of good info
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 7:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2010