Hell

Is "hell" a bad word, should a child be punished or corrected for saying it?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 5:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• We are Pagan . Saying go to Hell is like saying go to the North Pole. However it is one of my Mom's favorite expressions. Coming from a Christian I think it holds a lot of weight considering their beliefs. So, If they know what it means and say it any way. Then Yes.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Depends how they use the term. If they are referring to "the devils home" then it's okay with the exception of telling someone to go to hell. Any other use of the word is considered inappropriate and yes, they should be corrected.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i think it depends on how its used. if you all are having a conversation about it then no. but if that child tells you or someone to go to hell....ya i think its a problem
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• In my house it depends on the use of the word. If used correctly say "Satan lives in Hell" no punishment. If they say "What the hell?" Disiplined. My kids are 3 1/2 and 2
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I correct my children for saying hell. My son got bad with saying "What the hell" under his breath...so now they're not allowed to say it at all!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• in my case depends where he heard it, I do have a bad mouth from time to time. if they hear it from the parent and its used in a bad way ...well i cant punish them but we do have a talk about the word and how it should be used properly.
    silver1

Answer by silver1 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If my kid says, "go to hell" or "oh hell" yes, it's bad. If they say, "the devil is in hell where it is hot", not bad. Depends on the context.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 5:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If my son said, the devil lives in hell, then no big deal. If he said What the hell, I would just tell him that is a word he doesn't need to say and he will be punished if he says it again. I wouldn't make to big a deal about though, there are worst things he could say!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• anon :51 here, now if he said go to hell, there would be repercussions!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It depends on the context. If they are using it as a swear word, then yes, they should be reprimanded. Regardless of religious belief if there is a word in your household that is considered to be "bad" and they say it with that meaning behind it that means trouble. I am trying to avoid all words that could be offensive. I don't want my baby learning all of the "kindergarten curse words", either, like "crap" and "dookie". I would like to avoid calls from other parents and notes from the teacher, lol.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009