do you think its ok to drink wine while pregnant?

i get family members who tell me a glass here and there want hurt the baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have heard that but until my doctor says its ok Im off the bottle lol all my family says the same and my friends say so too. Im not buying it lol
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• if you have to ask i would say no, i was told that and last week i went to a wedding my SO tried to give me a glass of wine, but i didnt want it, i wouldn't risk it personally.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my doctors told me 1/2 a glass of wine a day or something, no more then that...
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 5:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i heard at the end of your pregnancy a glass of wine will relax you, but i dont like it. lol but i was craving a margarits like CRAZY when i was preggo. i took one sip (like enough to wet my tongue) and thats it from someone elses glass. didnt order my own and therefore didnt finish one. i just wanted the taste a lil lol i dont think that made me bad and baby is super crazy healthy :-p
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes, i think a glass every once and a while is fine.

does it matter what i think? nope, i have no idea what i'm talking about.

but in my opinion it's fine and i think people on cafemom manifest a glass of wine into baby killing.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I've heard it's ok as well. I never did though. It's still alcohol and it didn't seem right to me.
    If heaven forbid, something is wrong with your child then you are always going to wonder if it was that glass of wine, or just a coincidence.

I personally just sucked it up for the full pregnancy both times I was pregnant.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Do I think it's okay to drink wine while pregnant? No, absolutely not. There are women on here, there are family members, there are Drs that will say it is okay. But there is no amount of alcohol that is known to be safe while pregnant. I work with kids with FASD, and maybe a glass or two of wine won't cause it, but it is a 100% preventable birth defect, and it is very easy to prevent. You don't have to do anything but not drink. I would not see a Dr who thought that drinking any amount while pregnant was acceptable, and to be truthful I have less respect for any woman who would choose to drink while pregnant. This is one of my hot button issues and I am very passionate about it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• They used to use a glass of wine to slow down early labor, back in the day. Even in the 70's they gave alcohol intravenously in the hospital during labor. (Not the same as wine, but alcohol nonetheless.)
    Our academy of pediatrics says no, but in France they go by the "no more than one glass a week" or maybe it's one a month, but either way... it shows that one glass of wine or even 4 or 5 over the entire pregnancy is not going to harm the baby. France is not a country full of fetal alcohol syndrome affected babies.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009