has anybody ever had a baby with extra fingures?

my son was born with extra fingures on each hand and they (the doctors) said its normal. Is it?

smiley198028

Asked by smiley198028 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Extra Fingers? I really don't think that is "normal". It's not the worst thing but it is out of the ordinary.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• by them saying its normal,is doctors probaly see that alot.if there not fuctional later in life it might be best to get them removed..mabe.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• First of the condition polydactyle is common. It is actually the dominant gene over five fingers which is recessive. I have seen as many as eleven fingers on each hand. Are there more than five toes as well ? The removing of the extra digits is a parent / doctor decision. The fingers don't add or subtract from the quality of life your child will have. I would however urge you if you are going to have them removed have it done as young as the surgeon will do it. This will minimize the amount of scarring the child will have. When they are a teenager it will not even look as though they were ever there.

Perhaps in this society it is a better chioce to remove them to spare the child being picked on. Unlike the chioce not to circumsize your son (no one can readily see the foreskin) The extra fingers will be noticed the first time someone sees thier hands. If you chose to let well enough alone be supportive to him/her
    pinkcowgirl

Answer by pinkcowgirl at 6:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009