First Birthday theme: free and generic or costly and unique?

Im very excited that my first 1st birthday party is coming soon! I have my heart set on doing the theme a Little Prince--I think its extremely cute and not very common. However I know that to get all the decorations (especially ordered online, none the less, since most party citys only have Princess themes) its going to be VERY costly. Money I dont really have at the moment, but I think I can still make it possible. However, a friend of mine is willing to give me the decorations from her daughter's birthday party last year. It was Elmo themed. Now, *NO* offense to parents that have done Elmo birthdays but personally, for me, I hate that its so generic and widely done. I even had an Elmo birthday. But she will give me the decorations, for free. So I do go with the theme I really want and pay ridiculous amounts of money or do I go with the free decorations for a theme that I really dont like at all? What would you do?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Shopping

• Do what you want; It's the baby's first birthday. I like not so used birthdays too, and I think Little Prince would be very cute!
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Ok, if you can find a way to do it cheap and do the one you want, go for it. And just FYI, I did an Elmo theme for my DD's first and it was INCREDIBLY unique-I even made her a 3D Cake of Elmo (he was like a teady bear sitting up) HOLDING a cake for her. So even if you do decide to go with her decor you can still make it unqiue for your little guy!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Do what you want! He is too little to remember it so its all about you. Do elmo later when its ALL he wants (and your ready to shoot elmo in the face).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You don't have to do either. If you don't have the money for the one you want, then you shouldn't get it. But since you also don't care for the free one, then try to find something you do like and can afford or be creative and make some stuff. The little princess theme is cute, but you could easily do that for one of her birthdays when she is older and will appreciate it more. Another idea is only buy a few of the Little Princess decorations and use cheaper solid colors to coordinate or make some of your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well you could still have the Little Prince, but cut back. Instead of getting the napkins, plates and such in the theme- buy solid colors that coordinate. Buy a few decorations to put up and use bold solid color streamers or balloons for decoration too. Unless you plan to use the theme again, it can be a waste to get alot of decorations.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i would spend the money and be happy with the party... but i am a big spender.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Why don't you try to make some of the decorations? Like the prince hats and banners and such? That wya you can have the party you wnat but on a low scale budget.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:07 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I did little prince and little princess for my kids' double birthday party the year before last. When DD was 3 and DS was 1.

It wasn't expensive at all. I didn't really buy decorations (as we had the party at a park), but I bought the plates and napkins and forks all color themed from birthday express. I think it was about $25 with shipping.

Then, I bought balloons from a local party store that were the same colors (took the plates in to match colors). And the same for plastic table covers.

Then, I took the plate to a local baker (she's great) and had her make a 1/2 sheet cake split in two, little prince and little princess. It was perfect. The big cake, and 24 cupcakes cost me $28. She's cheap too.

All in all the party cost me about $60, and that was for two kids.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• By comparision, this year, we did cars and tinkerbell. We still had a double birthday party. My kids birthdays are 4 days apart.

Anyway, we bought the cakes from walmart and two 1/4 sheet cakes were almost $20 each. Just the cakes cost me $40.

I ordered their plates and napkins and forks from birthday express again.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:29 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Check out CelebrationsExpress.com and BirthdayExpress.com. These companies sent me a catalog a few months before their 1st birthday and they were hands down the cheapest. If you order online you can google a coupon code. You can buy party packs or pick and choose what you want, I do remember seeing a little prince theme on this site. We did a construction pals theme because I found the ultimate party pack on clearance on the site.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009