I am sooo unorganized how do you organized moms do it

Any advice would be great. I have 7 kids and just can't seem to keep the clutter under control.

What are good ways to get things under control the less crap around here the better.

abellvalerie

Asked by abellvalerie at 6:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• THROW IT OUT! LOL that is what I have to do, every once in a while I just go through and anything that pisses me off I just throw it away! We also have VERY specific places for everything. EVERYTHING goes back where you got it from, and if you can't put it back, you cant have it!

GOODLUCK
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I live by everything needs a home.... nothing in my house can be homeless. every toy, book, pen, shoe, mitten, plate, etc. if something doesn't have a "home" and I cannot find a proper place for it, it's GONE. If something hasn't been used, worn, played with, read, touched or otherwise handled in 4 or 5 months, it's GONE. And we purge.... if the kids get a new toy, we find an old, broken or unloved one to toss. Same with books, coloring books, etc. If something new comes in, something old goes out.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i am with the others PURGE. if you do not have stuff to become clutter, then it will not. obviously, with 7 kids there will be an excess. but you can totally control it that way... toss whatever is not being used, or is not NECESSARY.

my kids know darn well that if i find a toy where it does not belong, i throw it away, no questions asked. it took a couple of times, and some tears, but they keep their things picked up now, without much of a fuss.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• well, i shouldn't say "toss". i throw out very little.... i donate to the salvation army up the street and ruined clothes become shop rags for our garage. I also have a special corner of the basement for annual garage sale stuff.... but it's kept in enormous bins and labeled/organized.

ditto with stuff i sell on ebay. if it doesnt fit into the pre-designated bins/space, then I send to salvation army.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I went to college at the Art institute for interior design and professional organizing was part of our coursework. I went to a seminar from the APO too... so from what I learned-putting it to actual practical use with FAMILIES... you cant do too much at once. That's the biggest thing.. because its easy to become overwhelmed. Do one room at a time, even if it takes two days a room. Purge and sort  into three piles: keep, store, donate. Dont get rid of things if you dont want to.. but be practical about what you really use. Have you used it in the past 6 months? If not its either seasonal, or not worth keeping.

Storage bags are really nice for seasonal stuff because you can shrink it all down, it stays clean and fresh, and it takes up WAY less room. I store our winter wardrobes in bags in boxes out of the way, and summer wardrobe in the winter.. that way we always have room for our clothes.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 7:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Whatever you do make your organizational plan realistic that you and your kids will actually use.

It's no good thinking of some great place to put all your bags upstairs, if they usually never make it past the entry way.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• normally i would hop right in and get to answering this question, but you mentioned you have seven kids. if i had seven kids i wouldn't care. dont worry about organizing until they move out or until you only have two at home. i would keep only the important stuff like bills and important paperwork organized in my bedroom and let the rest go. as long as your house has groceries and toilet paper i would say you are good to go.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:42 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• jewjewbee If I just wait until they are all gone I will be living under a pile by that time my youngest is 6 months old LOL
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would start in one room and work your way through the house. Make a donation pile and a keep pile. If you haven't used or worn the item in the pass season then donate it. Same with the toys. My favorite thing to use are baskets or bins to hold random things. Good luck!
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 4:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2009