is it ok or not ok?

as a christian do you feel that it is ok or that it is not ok to drink a beer or two but not get drunk, to smoke a cigarette once in awhile, to watch r rated movies, to curse, but not the really bad words.. Is it to each his own or how do you decide what is right and what is wrong.. i know christians who do these things and then i know christians who do not do these things.. who's right and who's wrong?? i'm a new Christian trying to figure out where i stand!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In my particular denomination it's not okay.

Not to say it doesn't happen amongst members, I remember my dad had some left over language from his sailor days, but it's ideally not supposed to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Look to God - not man - only He can be trusted to instill in your heart what is right for you. Seek His interpretation for His Word in and on your life. Take mans word into account only as far as it takes you to get to your Bible and your knees. Believe nothing until you've studied it, meditated on it and sought God about it. When God gives you your truth hold it, stand for it and let no one cause you to turn away from it. His word is where your counsel comes from. His Thrown Room is where your answers are - not here. I know you want us to give you some comfort for a while - but your walk with God has to be very personal to you and very proprietary to your life.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 6:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Not a die hard christian, but I do have some idea where I stand. Smoking is a no. Drinking in moderation. Never heard anything against Rrated movies except the basic immoral behavior, and if I am offended seeing it there, then I am probably going to be offended no matter where I go, but I am not. Swearing is a hard one. I think there are situations that it is acceptable, but not in normal conversation. Like any words, if you overuse them, they loose their emphasis. thats my stand on those points.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• In my opinion doing those things arent right..its not God saying u can't smoke or drink because he wants to take the fun out of everything he says dont do those things because they can become a problem so why even put yourself in the position in the first place? I'm not saying everyone who slips up and does have a drink is bad i mean we are all human and thats why Jesus died for us to forgive our mistakes... like i use to smoke pot once in a while with some friends at first i did it like once in a while in highschool but then i started to smoke n drank n more and more without me even realizing it was a problem then i started to get addicted to it and my relationship with God started to fade n i got farther from him..thankfully i can say i got pregnant with a wonderful miracle that made me stop smoking pot n cigarettes n drinking i think it was God's way of saying i got out of control. i think u can tell by what ur heart says..
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 6:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• ok.. according to the bible which is what i go by.. drinking in and of itself is not a sin. so, if one is ok with an occasional glass of wine or beer no prob.. however if they get drunk... the bible calls it a sin.. also if it causes ur brother/sister to stumble.. probably shouldn't do it... and if u feel the Spirit of God is prompting u to not drink.. again, don't do it... those should be the reasons to not drink

smoking... is bad for your health and can do harm.. will u go to hell for it? no but will it affect u spiritually and physically? yes

cursing and watching r rated movies etc... the bible says we are to watch what we put before our eyes... the bible also says let the word of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight... so those things we should not do.

As a new Christian.. your best answer is going to come in reading your bible and in prayer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• fine by me
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 7:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I do not think that a beer or two are bad. I do not think that smoking a cigarette is horrable either, as long as you are just doing it to calm your nerves. But cussing imo is prolly not the best thing. We want to present ourselves as a different people. But above all human advice ask God, read te bible what does it say? Because we humans are sinful by nature we can't help it.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 7:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree, look to the Lord and His Word. The Bible says to drink a little wine for the stomach, but not to be drunk with it. Smoking won't make you go to hell, it just makes you smell like you've been there ;-D I don't believe God wants us to do anything to our bodies that's harmful. He says our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and that we are not our own. Smoking causes many serious health problems, so obviously it's not good for you. As far as cussing, read Ephesians chapter 4. Some other good verses to read are Philippians 4:4-8, and Galatians 5:19-25. Micah 6:8 says, "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• its not about whats right or wrong in general, but what you feel you should/shouldnt do as a Christian. does having an occasional drink cause you to stumble? if you were to smoke a cig would you get addicted?

you have to think about how certain behaviors make you look. cursing constantly makes ppl look ignorant & easy to discredit. when it comes to R rated movies you have to ask yourself why you want to see it? is it b/c it has drug & sex scenes or does it just look like a good movie? the Matrix is rated R & so is Forrest Gump, but i wouldnt think those were innapropriate for Christians (the language is a little bad tho).

asking & meditating on God will get you way better answers than any human can give. its really not about what the ppl in your church follow, but what you feel God thinks is best.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Here is a scripture or two that may help you answer that question... read Matthew 15: 1-39 ( it is too long for me to copy and past here)

When we walk close to God we will have no desire to do the things that defile us or poison us within. Drinking is ok, getting drunk is not, Smoking defiles the body, it destroys what He created, we are to be responsible and wise in how we take care of our body inside and out. For many smoking is an addiction which does need to be broken, Our reliance should be on God, Jesus and Holy Spirit to calm what is shaking within us. Cussing does not edify but tear down people around you. We are to be a people who would want to edify, uplift and encourage those around us. Cussing only does the opposite. All of these are pretty much common sense yet many Christians choose to do these things which in turn, dishonors God... We are to honor and glorify Him in all things including what... contin.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009