has anyone owned a ball python?

ours bit me tonight, i was shocked, she never bit b4. im thinking it was because i scared her. it was a quick strike and she coiled back and didnt bite down, i just have a tiny puncture the size of a push pin.. i waited a few minutes and tried again and she just crawled up my arm as usual. i fed her in a tote as usual then she crawled up my arm again, no probs. the worst she done b4 was hiss. when we got her the pet shop said this batch was more aggressive than usual. some friends think she is mixed with Burmese or maybe all Burmese. i was wondering if any of you had problems with your snakes?...

and by the way if she bites me again she is going bye bye...im the one who handles her most of the time my kids are NOT allowed to go near her cage and if they want to play with her i have to get her out. that rule was put in place from the moment we got her just to be on the safe side...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 90% of the time snakes bite as a feeding accident. Had you been handling any food prior like cooking? raw chicken? petting a furry animal? Were you getting the snake out at a time when you usually would have been feeding it? Oh and could snakey have been hungry?

I have had multiple ball pythons in our family and biting is just not part of their nature.

Other than feeding accident the only reason that a ball python would be aggressive is because they could have been inbred. Check on the source (the breeder or the pet shop)

SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 7:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "my kids are NOT allowed to go near her cage and if they want to play with her i have to get her out. that rule was put in place from the moment we got her just to be on the safe side..."
    If you wanted to be on the safe side, you wouldnt have a snake in the first place. Ecspecially when you have kids....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• oh god shut upanon 6:16, yeah i had one before & it bit me but i think it's because i scared her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• op here

i was wondering did the first poster ever own a snake or know anything about pythons...if you didnt you need to keep your mouth shut im not going to shelter my kids out of fear...they arent any more dangerous than a dog or cat.

to the 2nd one...how long did you have your snake? was a one time bite or more than once?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i had her for about 8 years before she died... no, she bit me more than once but it was b/c i accidently scared her & a few times before she started to shed (they're more stressed then)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• op here

my husband just brought the mouse home..i didnt touch the mouse, my husband is the one who put the mouse in the tote...the snake was under log thing and i went to move the log out of the way to get to her..she was awake as soon as my husband came in with the mouse box she started to move around as if she knew its feeding time, im thinking maybe i spooked her...since she hasnt done it b4 and it was a quick strike and didnt bite down or try to constrict....next time im gonna take everything out of the cage proir to gettting the mouse and see what happens, and we NEVER fed her in her cage its always been a large tote. and as far as asking the pet shop, they havent a clue about the snakes, the sales rep dont even know where the breeder is from. i got the snake at petco in april and all they knew is that she was 7 months old at the time
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• aha shedding...yeah we were thinking she gettin close to shedding again, her eyes havent changed yet but im sure they will be soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009