UPDATE on Not Able to Get A Passport!!! Not really a question, just an update.

I just wanted to update you all on what happened. I called the county recorder where my son was born. I ordered his OBC and I received it overnight! They said I would have my passport in less than 2 weeks! I'm so happy. Thank you for everyone who gave me good advice. I never thought about getting the OBC because I didn't think as the adoptive mother I would have access to it. Looks like we are officially headed for Cuba!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• Holy cow! After all that trouble, it was handled overnite? Amazing? So, this is the OBC that shows you & your DH on it, right? Or did it show the birth parents?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, its not the ammended one. Its the original with the birthparents names on it. I was shocked it happened so quickly. I explained the situation and showed proof(via fax) of who I was and they sent it. I'm also happy my son will get to see his OBC when he is old enough to understand(he's 10months now). Even though it has the birthparents names on it, the passport agency said with that and the adoption decree, I will get the passport within 2 weeks. Other than the entire move being hectic, which a move usually is, it should go much smoother now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Not only are you lucky that you got the OBC and you will be able to get his passport, unlike adoptees in all but 6 states in the US he will have his OBC. You probably don't get it yet, but trust me, that is HUGE to an adoptee! Way to go!
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:13 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• That's awesome, congratulations. I'm glad that I was wrong =) I was the one that adopted from CA and thought you couldn't get it. Just out of curiosity, did it have anything to do with private adoption or open adoption?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You are so lucky and he is so lucky! What a treasure! When you get back to the states, get a safety deposit box. You may have gotten it once, but consider it a MIRACLE! Probably wouldn't happen again. Yay!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Seriously, is it that hard to get?. I have both of my children's OBC's and I got them easily. Once came to me in the mail and the other was mailed to the bmom who mailed it to our attny.

I wonder if it is a state by state thing.

Congrats on getting through that mess!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Congratulations! Glad everything fell into place for you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• In Texas, the records are sealed, and we won't have our adopted son's OBC. He won't even be able to get it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:09 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Anon 11:13am What state are you in? Just wondering.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009