shaken baby syndrome

Im freaking out! I was coming to bring little Alyssa (7wksold) to see my mom. On the way in I missed the driveway a little bit, and my powersteering is going out on my car so I had to jerk the wheel real hard and I hit the curb of the driveway when pulling in. Then, Little miss Maddy,(my 7 year old), said that when I pulled in that alyssas head went jerking real fast from side to side. she has a head supporter in her carseat. does anyone think I should be concerned about SBS??? what are the first symptoms of it, and how long does it take to start noticing these symptoms?

Jessaroo1987

Asked by Jessaroo1987 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that you are probably ok.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Check her pupils. If they are the same size, and they react the same when you put a light in front of them, she should be fine. Is there any vomiting? If not, she's probably OK. If her neck went side to side, that's better than her brain going side to side. Just watch her and see if she acts normally.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well she spits up a lot anyway, but I havent noticed any serious vomiting yet. Im gonna be so afraid to let my baby sleep!
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• that is not enough of a jolt to cause shaken baby syndrome, babies can be in accidents and not have shaken baby syndrome she may have strained her neck a little but think about when she was in your tummy her neck wasnt supported and that head just kinda bobbed and jerked about when you moved watching dr harvey carps the happiest baby on the block dvd will give you a better idea of teh force necessary to cause shaken baby syndrome shes totally fine but when in doubt you can always call your pedi or go to an urgent care
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i don't think shaken baby syndrone can be don on accident it take very violent shaking , not to worry you more but if anything she might have whiplash but i doubt she has that either babis are tougher then we give them credit for
    Draydensmom7708

Answer by Draydensmom7708 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think she's probably fine. They design the car seats to support your baby's head in such situations. My DD fell and got a concussion when she was 2 1/2 and her symptoms started 1 1/2 hrs after she hit her head. Look for a lot of vomiting (like being able to keep nothing in her tummy), her pupils being different and if she's non responsive to you touching/ticking her. If you are really worried you could take her in to get her checked.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 7:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "You can't find peace until you find all the pieces." --- Troy Dunn, The Locator

I love it!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009