Nursing strike...

My son started to refuse taking the breast about a week ago (previously a very good nurser, never refused the breast). I have been back at work for about a month so he is used to getting bottles. We believe he is teething (white bumps on gum, drooling, biting, a little fussy). He will still take the breast at night but during the day I have to pump and then feed him. I have tried and tried for up to 1 1/2 hours to get him to nurse with no luck and the minute he gets a bottle he is happy and eating. I have tried, tylenol, gripe water, teething tablets, different positions, and I have switched his bottle to the wide neck kind. Have any of you experienced this? Is there anything I can do to get him to take the breast? My pediatrician says he thinks it is just my sons preference.

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he?? Maybe he just prefers a bottle at this point. If they get used to a bottle, they don't have to work as hard for it. Some people will tell you to let someone else feed him the bottle and you only offer breast....My daughter decided she didn't want to nurse during the day at 8 months, so I nursed her at night and pumped during the day. The important thing is that he is getting good stuff, no matter how he gets it. Don't stress so badly over it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son is 4 1/2 months, The pumping is starting to affect my supply ( plus I miss the BFing connection with him). I just want to make sure I have tried everything I can. I am already trying nearly everything I have heard of to get my supply up. Thank you for the support, I'm trying not to stress.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• There's info on kellymom.com on how toc ombat a nursing strike.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009