Are your children baptized unbeknownst to you?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112660500

I am speechless. I would be livid if my son returned home from a trip to see a motivational speaker, only to find out that he had been baptized!! Holy buckets, I would be fit to be tied.

What say you?
*disclaimer: I am not against religion, but this was crossing way over the line.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 7:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh I would flip. No teacher / coach should encourage religion of any sort on any student. I think I would not be as mad if my 16 y.o. son looked at me and said I listened to what they said and I wanted to do it. I am protestant, so my son going to a Baptist church would be weird for me. But I would not be against him searching for the church that he relates to.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, but my former inlaws said they were taking my son to be christened at birth, with or without my permission. I'm not Catholic. They are.

I WAS LIVID!

It's not their decision what religion I teach (or don't teach) MY child.

My ex was so mad he broke his hand punching something out. (Why yes, he is kind of crazy.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am religious, but yeah, I think minors should get their parents permission to be baptized.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• There just has to be more to this story than this. I can't fathom what would have prompted this. It is quite strange. And no, I wanted to be there for that special event in my children's lives. If they had been adults, I would have hoped to have been included. To do it this way is just strange.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Im a servent of God and even in our church they belive the kid makes the desicion when they feel they want to,its alwasy diffrent some are 10 some are 20 but none are forced.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• That school and that coach would be paying me a lot of money not to sue them to hell and back.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The church I attend would not baptize a child without parental consent. That is just strange.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• " Im a servent of God and even in our church they belive the kid makes the desicion when they feel they want to,its alwasy diffrent some are 10 some are 20 but none are forced. "

Do you think 10 year olds have the knowledge and COMPLETE understanding of what baptism is? Dont you think that if parents wanted to get their child baptized, theyd atleast want to be there for it?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If it was unbeknownst to me, how would I know?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• LOL, Carpy.

I mean in the context of the story. If your son went on a field trip to see a motivational speaker and then comes home only to tell you that it was a religious trip and he got baptized because he felt pressure to do so?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009