Do you force your kids to eat even if they're full?

I know some kids can just say they are full because they don't like what they are eating but I know there are times when my daughter is just full and that's why she won't eat. Do you still force your kids to eat if you know they are full? And do you force them to eat what they don't like?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 7:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• no i don't force my dd to eat, if she's hungry she'll let me know
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Nope I don't and I don't force them to finish what's on their plate no matter how little or how much is there.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• nope my mom didnt do it to me and i dont do it to my son.He knows that if he is hungry all he has to do is tell mom same when he is full.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Are you kidding, I think I am the only one with kids that have bottomless pits for stomachs. I have to tell them ok, I think you have had enough gees!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I just know my parents did it with me and I hated it. So I try not to do it with my dd. But sometimes I worry because she hardly eats all day long so when it's time to eat dinner I try to get her to eat more.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Anon, that is too funny. My youngest two are never full, but I to have to stop them sometimes, my 8 year old is sos skinny and he can out eat my hubby who is 220pounds LOL.

But I still dont force them to eat.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i dont force my 12 month old to when he says hes done i let him be done but its hard because I HATE wasting food! I also nanny for a 2 year old a 4 year old and an 8 year old and EVERY day is a new food battle I try not force them to eat if they say theyre done or they dont like it but it drives me nuts they ask fro a snack every hour and when it comes to eat a meal they want nothing to do with it and it is literally painful to see all teh food they waste
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't force my daughter to eat against her will. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to eat it. I give her a few choices at each meal. It's up to her to eat what food she wants to and how much of it she wants. I don't take it personally if she doesn't like something I've cooked. There are lots of foods I don't like, and I don't eat them. Why would I force my daughter to eat what SHE doesn't like?

She is 14 months old, so in a sense, she is still learning to eat.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:14 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My dd gets tricked into eating, not forced. lol we play a "game" of sorts where she copies daddy and mommy eating in funny ways. it's hard to explain. but we get her to eat that way. and we haven't found anything yet that she just will not eat b/c she doesn't like it.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 8:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• forcing a child to eat can lead to eating disorders.

we use the "three bite rule". you must take 3 bites of your meal; if you don't like it, you may prepare yourself whole grain toast with peanut butter and honey with an apple or kiwi

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009