What are appropriate chores for a 4.5yo and a 7yo?

My 4.5yo has to feed and water the kittens and clean up all his toys in the bedroom( at this time they ahare due to space). He also has to put his clothes in his hamper. My 7yo DD has to feed and water the big cats, clean up her toys, hput her clothes in the hamper, and help me clear the table and set it. I am not trying to make them be my maids or anything, but they earn $5 a week each, and they keep asking for more. So I said they would have to do some other chores, in order to earn it. I need ideas of things that are age appropriate(I had to clean whole house, and do all cooking a nd laundry by 10yo, so am not real sure on age apropriate things) ?

ms_mommy_sue

Asked by ms_mommy_sue at 5:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

• Well since it's summer I would have them clean the yard. Like pick up sticks and trash. Sweep and mop is a good one. Take out the bathroom trash or take the trash can to the curb when trash time. Clean windows. I hope these help Ann
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• How about helping with laundry folding or dusting? My 7 year old helps with those and I'll occasionally have him help vacuum. He's not to good at that yet, I have to go over it again but it's a start.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My kids are 6 and 8 and these are their chores: making their beds, running the sweeper in the living room, sweeping the floor, feeding the dogs, clearing the table, washing the breakfast dishes, cleaning up the dog poop from the backyard,wiping the toothpaste from the bathroom sink. If they want to earn more money, they do things like shovel snow in the winter, ( they actually LOVE doing that, they think it's fun) or pull weeds from the garden in the summer.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008