My 5 mth old rolls over on her stomach at night.

Is this safe? I put her down on her back when she's asleep and I check on her throughout the night and she always rolls over to her tummy. I put her back on her back but she always wakes up when I move her. She knows how to hold her head up and I keep her blanket under her arms so it was never over her head. Is it safe for her to be on her tummy? I hate waking her up every night rolling her over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's okay
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Its fine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I agree, it's fine.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Once they can roll over on their own its not a whole lot you can do to keep them on their backs, if she can turn her head easily and roll over, it's fine.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I always let my boys sleep on their bellies once they were able to turn over by themselves. I know it's scarry at first, but it's fine. In fact when i was little, my mom was told to put babies on their bellies to sleep so they wouldn't drown if they spit up.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Let her sleep.
    Anonymous

• Well its not safe to have blankets in the crib......I believe in mattress wrapping bc mattresses give off gases that cause cot death...so I would say no, its not safe to have her on her stomache unless you wrap her mattress, and keep everything out of the crib. I had the same worries when my son started doing this around 4 months so I researched and found what works for me.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• The drs say it's fine...once they can roll over themselves then you don't have to reroll them on their back...my ds has been sleeping on his stomach since about 3 months, it made me a wreck but the dr said it was fine bc he was rolling over himself.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i know my daughter has been doing this for awhile and it freaked me out but the more i read and thought about it its fine. she actually wakes herself up when she rolls on her stomach. she mostly sleep on her side. they have so much control of their heads now that they are aware. enjoy a good night sleep mama.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Thats because the doctors in this country are not fully educated about crib death.....its not because a baby cannot turn their heads. Do some reasearch .Inform yourself of the serious hazords to your babies. This country sells mattresses that are harmful to your baby. Look up new zealand cot death 2000. This will explan it all. Your baby is not perfectly safe on their stomache unless mattress is wrapped. plain and simple.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 4:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2009