Christians, do you-or any Christian you know- share different beliefs than your parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, My mother believes some things are sinful and I personally cannot see how they are.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 7:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes i do I chose my faith at the age of 19 because it was what i wanted and not because it was what my parents believed and we continue to have different beliefs my husband does not share the same beliefs with his parents either
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well, my mother is Christian, I am Pagan...
    My mother is more specifically Jehovah's Witness. As is her mother, but her father was a very devout Roman Catholic...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My family is Catholic, but I practice my faith more than my mother. She used to go to Catholic school as a child, and she was bad. She was always in trouble. She went to Assumption Grotto, a church/school in Detroit that has a shrine to the Blessed Mother. It is said that She appeared on the grounds during troubled times. Well, my mother decided to dress like her and stood on top of the school while her girlfriend shined a flashlight at her, and people thought she was an apparition. I sure hope she goes to Heaven.LOL
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Maybe not my mother, no, but my stepfather is more orthodox than I am. My mother has always been more open, which rubbed off on me, I admit, although I probably do take it further than she does.

As for my husband's parents, well, we're on the complete other end of the spectrum in terms of what his family believes.... His grandmother, for example, is quite fundamentalist, and would not be happy if she knew exactly what my (well, our, my husband thinks a lot like me) beliefs are....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am of a different branch of Presbyterianism than my parents are. We are united under the Westminster Confession of Faith and a agreements on a FEW of the teachings of John Calvin but that's about it.

My parents are literalist, fundamentalist (but not in the "in-your-face" sense that people often associate with those terms) Bible-conservatives and political-conservatives.

I believe somethings in the Bible were meant to be taken literally and some figuratively and some things present a principle for us to follow after taking era-cultural contexts of a particular book's time into consideration. I am in the middle of the road between Bible-liberalism and conservativism and I am on the pretty liberal end of the conservative spectrum politically.

One example: my parents believe women must be silent until the service is over and cannot ever have a place of teaching over a man (etc.) I disagree with that.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I do. My mom believes that you can loose your salvation if you sin. I disagree with her. It is one of the reasons I left that particular denomination.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:10 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The only people who share the same beliefs as their parents are people who haven't really talked about it with their parents. Nobody agrees on everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Nope. my parents, all my grandparents are Baptist, and I was untill I met my husband whos family is Pentecostal. now I am Pentecostal.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 1:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• oh, I forgot to add, it was my choice, not just because I got married, used to I didnt like going to church or anything, now I cant wait and get really exited
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 1:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2009