What to do? My baby is 18 days old, and has not gained any weight?

I breastfeed and she still has not gained any weight, she lost some, but isn't that normal? I went to her first check up after birth she lost some weight, so she was 7 lbs and 2 0z born, and then she weighed, 6 lbs 14 oz, and now she weighs 6 lbs 12 0z, I went again today for a check up and she is still 6 lbs 12 oz so the whole week she gained no weight! What should I do? I am supplementing with some formula, is it because of me? I feed her 1-4 hrs she's always eating, but also always pooping it out. But I have a good milk supply.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 7:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The most important thing for you to do is to stop supplimenting with formula. Feed on demand & go by wet diapers. Some babies are just slower at gaining & breastfed babies gain differently than formula fed babies. Make sure your pediatrician is pro-breastfeeding if you want support & help from them, other wise, you'll have to let a lot of advise go in 1 ear & out the other. Trust your body & follow your babies cues. Her pooping a lot is good. She has to be eating a lot to poop a lot. It is normal to nurse a baby all day long. Or maybe it just seems like all day, haha.
    carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My first son was the same way. We ended up having to go to the drs, weigh him before he ate, then i fed him and they weighed him again after he ate to see what/how much he was actually getting. It turned out fine, he ended up being smaller than average size and once he started gaining he did gain steadily, just slowly. He's no 12 years old, 5' tall and weighs 101 lbs.
    Babies do usually lose some when they are born, but start to gain again soon after. Your pediatrician should be keeping tabs on his weight and be able to advise you what your next step should be. Since she isn't gaining weight and is still so young, I wouldn't let her go 4 hours between feedings, that seems kinda long. But I'm not a ped - ask him and if you don't like the answer, get a 2nd opinion.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• some babies take more time to gain their birth weight than others she may have a higher metabolism than teh average baby or she may need a formula with an increased calorie ratio I wouldnt worry at this point if her weight loss has platued weight gain is most likely on the horizon your pedi will let you know when you need to take action
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My DD did the same thing, she went from 9 lbs 10 oz all the way down to 8 lbs 14 oz. by her first check up and stayed there for almost 5 days. didn't gain or lose it....
    Our ped suggested to move the feeding times to 2- 2 1/2 hours and have her nurse for 10-15 minutes per side and then after each feeding offer her at least 2oz of formula (if she ate it fine, if she didn't it was no big deal). We tried it for a week and she is now back up to 9 lbs 6 oz and doing awesome. I think that every baby grows differently, but def try moving the feedings up, every 4 hours is an awfully long time. Talk to your ped though, they will let you know the best course for your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2009