I'm upset, frusterated, and feel like crap! What to do?

Okay so here is My story, My baby is 18 days old, I am producing lots of breast milk 4 oz, from each breast, and My baby is always eating, but she has lost weight after she was born. She was born at 7 lbs 12 oz, and then weighed 6 lbs 14 oz, a week after, the 2nd dr apt she weighed 6 lbs 12 oz, now third today the same, her head is bigger, she poops a lot! So why should I use formula right now as a supplement? While she is still doing good, I know for newborns it takes a few weeks and is nothing to freak out about. I will admit I lost my apetite and may need more calorie intake! My Dr. told me to use formula supplement. It's been a challenge! My baby does not like it! Or is use to it, I want to breast feed!

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 8:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you spoken with or seen a Lactation Consultant? Or LLL?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well most bf'd babies regain their birthweight in 2-3wks. Your DD is at the top end of the amount of weight babies are expected to lose after birth (normal is 5-10% and she's at 10%) However, because it is so close to that 3 wk mark and she hasn't gained any weight at all from what she lost at birth I'd say that it you should either try feeding her a lot more often (like 1- 1 1/2 hrs only between feedings) or try the supplement. Also, I suggest going back to see your doc in a couple of days and see if she's gaining any weight. IF she still isn't gaining weight then it could be something more serious.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 8:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Another question, sorry, Are you feeding off of one breast per feeding? If not try that so that baby gets more of that fatty hindmilk.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Has she been weighed on the same scale each time? That's important. Differing scales can throw the readings off. Has she been weighed at approximately the same amount of time before/after a feeding? That can also be important.

She was supposed to lose weight after birth. She did lose slightly more than ten percent so that does have me concerned.

Let's start here. Block nursing. All feedings from the right side for a three hour period, then the left side for the next three hours and so on. On demand feeding. never timing. Let her come off on her own.

The continuing loss also concerns me...IF the scales are to be trusted. And if they are you can do both. I WOULD do both, in fact, if there's continuing loss. It doesn't need to be all one or the other in a case like this.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• If you do end up having to supplement for the survival of your baby, it's not the end of the world, nor does it mean you have to stop breastfeeding. You just have to do what is BEST for the baby and if she isn't gaining weight, starting at the beginning and figuring out WHY she's not gaining is good.

If you did supplement (not saying you have to) and she still didn't gain any weight...then there very well could be a problem.

Add more fat to your diet so it gets into your milk. That can help too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my Dr. told me the SAME thing.... I told my husband, fuck him

i DID NOT supplement, and she's still doing fine. Mine started at over 9lbs, and today (5m) she's only in the 50% weight. It's no big deal, good wet/dirty diapers.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• A friend of mine baby had a problem. She was breastfeeding and never gained any weight. Each time she would loose and loose when they went to the doctor. I think at her 1 month appointment, the doctor put her on a very high calorie formula. The doctor called it a failure to thrive. She is gaining weight now but very very slow. She is 8 months old and looks like a 2 month old. It is really awful. I am not saying that is what your baby's problem is but there can be underlying issues. I know at my hospital I gave birth at, the Lactation Consultant always said to just bring my baby up anytime and they will weigh her and see if she is gaining. They can weigh before and after feeding to see just how much your little one is eating.. Good Luck and I do hope your little one is not going through what my friends baby is going through.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You do not have to supplement formula. Babies are supposed to lose weight at first. That's normal. If her head is growing and she's producing at least 6 wet diapers a day, then you do not need to supplement. Just keep feeding on demand. She will start gaining weight at around 4 to 6 weeks.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son was very jaundice when born. Most doctors call it breastfeeding jaundice and tell mothers to supplement formula. My pediatrician believes breast milk is best for babies and just always said to BF on demand. My son did just fine. BF babies are just smaller than FF babies. That doesn't mean anything. FF babies also have a greater chance of being obese later in life.

If you're pro BF, you may want to find a different pediatrician.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Oh, I forgot to add that my pediatrician said babies are supposed to lose a little bit of weight during their first month before they start to gain but the biggie is if their head doesn't grow. Your baby's head is growing, so yall are doing fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2009