Is being an atheist a choice?

or is only believing in a higher power a choice? If being an atheist is a choice can a person really be born atheist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes it is a choice.. you either chose to believe in God or not.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think it's ALL a choice when it comes to what you believe in.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• being whoeva you wanna be is a choice. i think the only thing you don't have a choice of is your family and your ethnicity, lol
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I believe children are born without religion, but I wouldn't call them atheists exactly. They don't have language or the mental capacity to even begin to understand the world around them, much less an abstract concept of a god or faith. Parents and society teach them what to believe or not to believe. The child/adult can then decide/choose to change this.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sort of an interesting question........I think every belief is a matter of choice, or faith. I suppose when you think about it we are born without spiritual/religious beliefs but I wouldn't call that a choice because we don't, at birth, have the knowledge or understanding to choose. I don't think a true choice can be made until we begin to enter adulthood and decide for ourselves. Some people will be firm in their faith from their adolescense, while others won't until they are grown and out on their own and out from under their parents influence. I didn't choose to become a Christian until two years ago. Before then I knew I believed in God, but my definition of Him was a motley mix and I didn't believe in Jesus as His son. I basically believed in "The World as Windy Wants it to be", lol. To confuse you more, I choose to believe in God now because I KNOW He exists.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I didn't choose my "Non" belief in God. It was always there, waiting for me to discove my own truth. And for me, that truth is, there is no God. I always felt it, when I was younger, but didn't quite realize what it was. It wasn't until I grew emotionally and spiritually, that I began to understand what was speaking to me deep down inside.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No. It's a belief. There is a difference. You can't really choose to believe something or not. Why do you think so many women with abusive husbands continue to stay? Because they believe they can change him... They choose to stay, but they believe it's over.

Look at yourself. Whatever beliefs you hold. If I came to your door and showed you why your beliefs are wrong, would you just Chose to change or would you stick to your beliefs? Chances are, no matter what I say or show you, you would stick to your beliefs. It's not a conscious choice. It's something that we have to literally teach ourselves to reject if we choose to change. And that's not really an easy thing to do, in many times it's impossible. Whichis just one more reason that so many religions had to apply force to their non-believers. Because those people weren't going to just change beliefs - it doesn't work that way!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sabrina, for over a decade I went to church without my husband. I never converted him, I never nagged him to attend church with me. He made the choice without any force. I really don't agree with what you have said or JW , Mormons and other evangelist wouldn't go door to door. chances are they convince some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Shaneagle...I have to disagree. It was never a choice for me. My soul spoke to me from a very early age, and it clearly told me that God and church and was the way of my spiritual path. It was not a choice...it was simply "there".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• many Christians can say when they tried to deny God they were led back. I tried to wipe out religion but felt a strong pull back to God. Would I be Christians by choice? or what is simply there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009