For moms with those whose children are allergic to peanuts?

Hi Ladies- I am a preschool teacher and this year we have a child who is very allergic to peanuts. So we have made our school a peanut free zone. I just have a question though other than the obvious (ie: peanut butter items) what are some other things that one may not think of right away that would NOT be safe? I am just curious because I want to write up some letters to the parents so they understand the severity of the issue. So, I just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas or key points that I can share. FYI: We have an epi pen for the child and yes we are all certified through the AHA in first aid and CPR. Thanks so much!!

Cassidysmom611

Asked by Cassidysmom611 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Peanut oil in processed foods. If I were you I'd head for my pantry & start looking at ingredients of stuff & taking notes. I'd also hit walmart & look at all the most common foods. I really dont know we dont have to deal with that issue.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I get migraines from peanuts so heres what I have found. Almost all nuts are cooked in peanut oil. Sometimes people use peanuts in hummus. I know I also get in trouble in a lot of Thai restaurants. Umm... cookies can be bad for cross contamination (depending on how allergic the child is). Some premade meat marinades use peanut oil, but that is getting more rare. Most candy carrys a warning that it is made in factory's where there are nuts (I'm not sensitive enough to know if its really a problem) One store in town uses peanut oil in the rub on their roast chickens. And some stuffing have it in them. Those are all I can think of that aren't obvious right now.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 9:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Chocolate chips quite often may be cross contaminated, so always look for ones that say peanut free. Lots of granola bars can be cross contaminated. I'm guessing you are worried about snacks? Always check the small print on packaging, most products now will either have "peanut free" on the label or say "may contain peanuts or traces of peanuts" near the ingredient list. Most products will have an 800 number to call and should be able to tell you if they are nut free or not. But when in doubt assume they contain peanuts. It's much better to pass on snack than to have to use the epi pen and call 911.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009