Is it wrong to take food stamps if I get paid in cash for my babysitter job?

me and my husband are separating so I will need food stamps and WIC. He says it's wrong bc I'm not paying taxes. I plan on going to massage therapy school and once I get a massage therapy job I will be paying taxes and hopefully won't need food stamps anymore. Also plan on looking for a weekend job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• no. is it your business, or just a side gig? if you need it you need it.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's a full-time job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Report how much your making when you apply.
    Anonymous

• Do what you have to do, no one has to live your life but you.
    But respectfully, why did you feel the need to ask us? You don't really seem to have a problem with it yourself?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I plan on reporting it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would def report your income. Either you're making enough and taking advantage of the welfare system or you arent making enough and will still get the assistance. It would suck to get caught and have to pay that money back and get in trouble for tax fraud. If you're second guessing yourself dont you already know what you're doing is wrong??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You have to report all forms of income because the people you sit for will report it for the child care tax credit. You will have to pay tax if you earn more than $600 but it isn't much. But if you commit welfare fraud you will pay severe penalties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• the people I babysit for don't report. I make $800 a month. How much will I end up owing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• "Answered at 8:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 by: Anonymous
    the people I babysit for don't report. I make $800 a month. How much will I end up owing? "

You do know that this is illegal?

Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• All income must be reported. You may not make enough to actually have to pay anything in. But you do have to report it. If you do not it's fraud.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2009