What is your opnion of peanut-free schools?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 9:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think its reasonable up to a point... peanut free in a 500 student school for 1 student? I think not. If there are 3-5 students? then it makes sense. Perhaps just the lunchtime the child is at? (I know our schools sanitize the tables/ seats between meals). As for the pro PB side, think about this... at DS's school district your not allowed to have lunchboxes, do you want a sandwich with meat on it sitting in a classroom, at classroom temp, for 4 HOURS before your child eats it? I sure don't, which leaves PB as one thing that doesn't go bad at room temp, so yes, you ARE endangering my child to keep yours safe.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Some children have HIGHLY allergic reactions to peanuts...so they need to not be around them for their health.

Why would I have an opinion on that. Its just peanuts....nothing for a parent to worry about....if your kid wants peanuts....give them to them at home ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would think that is a safer school for a child with an extreme allergy to peanuts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• peanuts are a healthy food, but there's other ways to get that same nutrition.

I guess.... I say no big deal if their banned. I wouldn't really argue or care.

Wait, does that mean peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too? that might stir things with me than.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i think its important because many kids will neglect the fact that they were asked not to bring peanuts to a specific class, not to be mean but because they are kids and forget

and if they make it a school rule it'll just be normal

It could save someones life
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes it includes ANY peanut products

A kid in my dh school is so allergic that if he even BREATHS in the peanut fumes...(for lack of better words) Then he needs an epi pen immediately.

I say again: Let them have peanut products at home. If it were YOUR kid that had severe allergies you wouldnt want to send them to school knowing they could come in contact with peanuts and become SERIOUSLY sick!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I'm honestly curious, not trying to start anything. I live in Alabama, the Wiregrass area, we have peanuts down here, LOTS of peanuts, it's the main economic crop of this area. I mean they have the national peanut festival down here. Now, just about everyone is allergic to peanut dust (actually a mold that grows on the peanuts that gets stirred up during harvesting, from what I have been told) but I don't think that many kids are deathly allergic to peanuts in this area. I wonder why? It is curious. I mean, our schools don't have any kind of nut policy (technically legume policy, but anyway), so I wonder if being around it from birth kinda keeps them from having the allergy. It is just curious to me.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:28 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• OP, I am glad they show enough concern to protect the children in their care.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Petie: I live in Alabama too, and I know several schools that are peanut free. My dh school is.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Sorry I am the above post...I didnt mean to post anon. ;) Habit ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009