What's the problem with the baby bottle?

I'm Italian and I live in the USA since 2 years, I was wondering what's the problem with giving a bottle of milk to your baby beforehe/she goes to sleep, I've never heard in Italy that giving the bottle after the first year is wrong. I have a 21 months old daughter and she gets her bottle before go to sleep, then she brush her teeth and she goes to sleep, why is this baby bottle so harmful? I know that the pacifier can give problems to the teeth that's why we doesn't let her use it anymore, but I don't see any reason to stop with the bottle (and it wouldn't a problem take it away), I just want that my daughter get her milk and calcium. Thanks for you answer, it's all so different here than in Italy and I'm very curious. Sorry for my poor english

shining8250

Asked by shining8250 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is a concern with teeth. Too many formulas in the US use corn syrup a a major ingredient, and that can be a dental nightmare waiting to happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You can give her milk before bed but I would give it to her in a sippy cup and not a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• For gdiamante, but if I brush her teeth well before go to sleep the problem should be resolved, shouldn't it? For anonymous: what's the difference between using a sippy cup instead of a bottle? She's 21 months old not 21 years old.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My 14 month old gets a bottle before bedtime, and she will stop when she is 24 months old, unless she gives it up on her own. Her teeth are perfect. It's only a problem if you make it a problem. It's really up to you as the parent.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Your English is excellent!! I am very impressed. As far as giving the bottle, while it isn't recommended, don't worry about it. My oldest had a bottle until he was 2 1/2 and my other son did until he was about your daughter's age. The biggest problem is when they fall asleep with it. It can cause damage to the teeth. However since your daughter doesn't fall asleep with it, she should be fine. Personally, I don't think it is that big a deal!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• She is almost 2! She should not be on a bottle! Continue with the bottle and your child will have all her teeth with cavities.

If you google your issue you'll come up with an answer:

Stop bottle-feeding as soon as possible! Bottle feeding is associated with more colds and ear infections, bad teeth, slower speech development, and poor self esteem (the latter two, my opinion). It has no redeeming value other than facilitating the act of feeding. Bottle-fed toddlers frequently become milk-grazers as they run around, a bottle dangling out of their mouth, sipping liquids periodically. This suppresses appetite and promotes dental caries, obesity, a reluctance to eat solid foods, and -- if the beverage is fruit juice -- diarrhea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Usually the rule is to not let the child take a bottle to bed with them.
    Milk before bed is fine.
    Brushing her teeth afterward is great!
    I would however encourage you to start getting your child to use a sippy cup rather than a bottle at this point. (see reasons above in Anon 9:45's answer).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• She doesn't drink anything but water and milk, she doesn't go around sipping from a bottle or cup, she eats very well, vegetables, pasta, beans, meat, fish (I'm still following her italian feeding style) and I really never had any issue about her appetite. She always brush her teeth too. I'm pretty sure I had a bottle until a late age but I've never had all these problems. Anyway thank you for the explanation I didn't know about this point of view
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• ask her doctor about it. i think it is fine since you are brushing her teeth after, but it is best to get a doctors opinion.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• nothing but the worry warts both my girls had bottles in bed with them and to date they are in their late 20s and have only one cavity apiece in their whole life. it was the thing in the 90s to have experts tell; you that every thing we did was wrong but remember that experts once believed that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around us. Experts ar alsways chaging things. For awhile you put babies on their back to  prevent SIDs then you propped them on their sides and then you laid them on their front now it is back to sleeping on their back. Experts are humans and make mistakes and change their minds all the time

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009