What do you say when your child acts this way?

My ds is 5yo and has decided he does not want to listen to his kindergarten teacher. Today he had a great day till the last 45mins of school. He wanted more center time but was told no. All of the kids had to transition into story time. He pouted for a few mins then started acting out. He started making rasberries at the teach, then tossed a chair and finally pushed a table into the teacher. He then asked the teacher "do I get to go to the principals office now?" The teach called me to the school. She is a very nice person and is telling me the story very calmly and asked my son to help her tell what had happened. How should I handle this at home? Is he just trying to get attention for attentions sake?

babyboyzz

Asked by babyboyzz at 9:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he act like this at home when he doesnt get his way?

In my house that would have earned a spanking, and we dont spank often, I think my boys have been spanked maybe 5 times in their lives (11 & 8) If this is soemthing he does at home also how do you handle it? Talk to him let him know this is not okay, I would also make him write a letter of apology, yes even a kindy can do this my daughter can copy letters and she helps me word the letters she writes to family. At home do you have set times to do things where there is a noticeable shift in activities like family time then bath then bed or is it go with the flow? If your go witht he flow types try setting some structure to help reinforce what they do in kindy, if you have structure and nothing else you try stops this behavior you may have another problem on your hands and need to ask the school if they have an opinion or suggestions.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 9:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• you need to correct him how ever it is you do,spanking ,taking things away whatever you do when it comes to correction,he needs to understand that you are totally on her side and are very ashamed of the way he has acted,let his dad talk to him too.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i would definately punish him big time (take away priviledges, do extra chores or however you normally punish for something like that) talk to him about what he did and try to understand why he did it. if he's not getting enough attention from you, try spending more time with him. he must apologize to the teacher in person (not with a letter).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• You need to talk to him about RESPECT and that the teacher is the boss in school. He needs to be taught that their are consequences for his actions. He should write his teacher an apology letter. He should be punished at home too. Take away priveleges, favorite toys, etc. You just have to keep pushing him about respect and listening. I have to say that I never had that issue with my son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i'da spanked him right in front of the whole class...unfortunately though, that would open a can of worms, if it's even legal these days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I did make him apologize for each and everything that happened in class. He doesn't get away with this stuff at home. He may sulk alittle but hasn't had fits since he was 2. When the teacher said she was calling home, he begged her to call dad! My husband is not a discipline dealer at our house. he's a big softy!! I had to get my other boy from school and my dh called wanting to know what the punishment was. I made the mistake of saying what ever you feel is right because I'm not home to inforce it. NOTHING!! was his grand idea. DS was playing video game when I got home tonight. The principal at the school is a man. Maybe my ds thinks all men are pushovers!
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 10:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• are you seriously saying your husband did NOTHING??? after your child physically pushed a table into the teacher? Then your child played video games as if nothing happened? Never would that happen in my home EVER. Things like this are not the time to be soft on a child. You and your husband need to sit and agree on what will happen next time because most likely there will be a next time since there was no real punishment this time around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• are you and your child aware that even in kindergarten he can be charged with assult on school personell for his actions? if something like this happens again, he can be aressted. let him know this and tell him he can go to adult jail (big lie i know, but he doesnt) and have a police officer talk with him about adult jail and how scary it is
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009