smoking around babies

Do you think that smoking while pregnant or around babies should be considered abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thats a touchy subject to some people. I dont think its right by any means. I am an ex smoker (three months without a cigarette!) and I never smoked around my kids or when I was pregnant. The way I saw it was this-I choose to smoke, my kids didnt. They shouldnt have to have that stuff in their bodies just because I wanted it in mine. Some people don't see anything wrong with it though!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, but I think it's horrible when I see it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I personally do, but I am pretty harsh on this topic b/c I feel like it is selfish to do it around babies.

I HATE the smell of cigarettes so I am disgusted by people who do it around kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• no, i think that's going a little too far, but people who do that are selfish @ssholes and i hate seeing someone do that. they might as well tell the world they don't give a crap about their childs health.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes. Everything about a cig is bad for your body, not one good thing....they say now third hand smoke is even bad...i hate people who smoke around others children...cant stop them from doing it around their own, but i will be downright rude to anyone who lights up in a room with my child. Its the most selfish habit out there unless you do it outside by yourself where it cannot affect anyone but your own stupid self.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:54 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• yes, what a terrible thing to do.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't know if it should be considered abuse. I hate it tho. SO I would be ok with that lol My mother smoked around me all my life and I HATED it. When I got pregnant we had a pretty big fight about it, but I absolutly refused to be around someone who smoked while i was pregnant. I think it's horrible for everyone and think it should just be outlawed lol. But i defently think it HORRIBLE if someone smokes while pregnant or around children for sure. I mean go outside of whatever and if your pregnant, that's just one more thing they need to give up !
    TiffBryan

Answer by TiffBryan at 9:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yes it is abuse. It causes low birth weight babies for one. It causes respitory issues and ear infections. Even if the parents smoke outside, the third hand smoke is on thier clothes, hair, skin etc and causes the children health issues. Its not like the unborn child or baby can say, "hey I don't want to breathe smoke."

If you want to smoke, don't have a baby..
    amygray

Answer by amygray at 10:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Goodness, people can be harsh! lol I am a smoker, I have smoked for 31 years, I have 4 bio kids, that I smoked while pregnant with, I have 6 step kids, and a combined 20 grandkids....I am still a smoker, and I do smoke somewhat around my kids and grandkids, I don't blow it directly on them, but if they come around me when I'm smoking they do smell it. This is just another issue peopel judge eachother on.....like breastfeeding or not....is it selfish to not breastfeed? Spanking, are you being abusive if you spank your kids. Just something else to judge other moms over.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well I'm an ex smoker, and I was guilty of smoking around my first child, but not until he was a bit older. I never smoked while pregnant, in fact, it made me sick, and since I found out i was pregnant with my dd in FEB. of 2008, I have been smoke free. As a smoker, I tried to avoid my child during my cigarette "breaks", by going outside or at least to another room. I watched my friend who recently had a baby, smoke cigarettes and pot through her entire pregnancy, and it made me sick. How selfish can you be that you can't give up one little thing for the health of your child who doesn't deserve to inhale the smoke you do? Needless to say, this so called friend of mine, hasn't even been a mother 1 month yet, and already says it is "getting old, quick". Maybe if she hadn't thought about herself thru-out pregnancy, her motherly instinct would have kicked in fine, and she wouldn't be worried about when her next cigarette break is!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009