I'm a little confused about BFing and your period...

do you really miss your period if you breastfeed? i know you get it as soon as you have the baby (btw-how long does that last? 8 days like a normal period or longer?)

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The bleeding that occurs after the baby is born continues for a good while but it isn't a period. It's called "lochia" I think...but it isn't menstruation. Breastfeeding can delay your period from coming back by putting off ovulation for a while. The only thing is, you will ovulate before you get your first period, meaning you can get pregnant before you ever see your real period come back! So it is not 100%, but it can be effective for a while if you breastfeed exclusively.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• period as soon has you deliver your baby... what??? someone has given you some bad information
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I bled for about 2 wks after I had my kids and then I had no period for 4-5mos and then it was still irregular for a while after that.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 10:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I bled for about 2 to 4 weeks (3 months when it was having a hard time getting past the afterbirth). And you CAN miss your period if you are BF but it's not garunteed. I BF mine and had my regular (before baby) periods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well i bleed about a week after my babies "7 of them them." Didn't get a period until i stopped feeding full time meaning every 3-4 hours no bottles! Then i started having a period . But to each is own!
    libraNgemini

Answer by libraNgemini at 10:20 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• you bleed after baby is born but it's not a period. it lasts a different amount of time for everyone. and everyone's period starts at different times, my started at 8 mos. congrats!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I didn't start my period again until my daughter was almost 5 mos and I was just breastfeeding her before then. I pretty much started around the time she started on solids. (I'm still bf'ing now and she's just 6 mos)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 10:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009