Planning a home birth... should I stick with my plan?

I am due in 6 weeks have been planning a homebirth. However, we moved into our new home and I am NOT comfortable here and I haven't ever been. I know that feeling good about where you are birthing is really important, and I don't feel that. Our house isn't done and it won't be done before baby comes. I feel like we are racing the clock to finish moving in and I cannot really enjoy the pregnancy or bond with the baby, all I do is stress about the house, about our financial situation (it's hard to pay our midwife too) and everything is really weighing on me. My midwife told me to really address all this to decide if I should still birth at home and if it's really what I want or if I should plan to go the the hospital. I don't know what to do there are pros and cons to both and it's a good hospital midwife attended with an 8% csection rate. What do you think? I've wanted a homebirth for so long but is it just not the right time?

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 10:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• And I want to get different opinions from different people, but if you're opposed to homebirth in the first place, no matter what, then you won't be of any help to me so please don't waste either of our time...
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:07 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We don't always get what we really want. but if your not comfortable, have you looked into birthing centers rather than just the local hospital?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• There are other options besides just a homebirth and hospital sweetie! I had my daughter at a birthing center and will be having this baby at the same birthing center. The birthing center where I am is AWESOME and set up just like a house. It's basically the same as having a home birth without the added worry of still having TONS to do. Google "Birthing Centers" and then your city and state. I hope this helps!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• omg, please stick with your homebirth plan. the baby won't care where he is born, or if the house is complete. Let those tasks be taken care of slowly, don't race them.

being in a hospital WILL NOT alleviate stress in my opinion, and plus you may look back and be upset for not homebirthing.

Join the natural birth group, you'll find support there
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:09 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• We don't have a birth center close enough to us... I did look into that, but I kinda live out in the sticks...lol. I'm 20 mins from the hospital where my back up would be (and where my baby would be born if we choose that) so that's not bad, but we don't have birth centers available to us, sadly. I really wish we did.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:11 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• What makes this house "not comfortable"?

I know what you are talking about~ I do understand.
    What does your baby NEED to be born and comfortable after?
    And what do you NEED?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:13 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's a crappy trailer, I'll be honest. It's small, which isn't a huge deal, but it's unfinished in a lot of ways...we had to do a lot of renovations that are not complete yet. We moved into it to help our financial situation, which is still on the down big time, and that's another level of stress, but this place was really really cheap. I just have trouble picturing myself birthing here, and I wonder if that's just normal stress or worrying (it's also my first natural birth) or if that will be a problem for me during birth, while trying to open up and all. I have told myself the baby will not mind, and I believe that, but I wish I knew if this will really hinder me or if I can get past it...maybe if we did enough before the baby came, but it's a guessing game when the baby will come and I worry that I won't be able to sigh that breath of relief before labor begins, I worry that I'll start labor and go "oh no.. not ready!!"
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 10:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my guess is that you would be more comfortable in your home than in a hospital. but i had a hospital birth and it was pretty good. with a midwife btw. but we have moved since so i want to try to get a homebirth but i live in a state where it's illegal for midwives to attend home births?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• do have a close family member/friend who might switch houses with you for a day or 2?
    Anonymous

• I would think that any home would be more comfortable than a cold impersonal hospital with people barging in on you all through the night. I truly hate giving birth at the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 10, 2009