Can a surrogate mom with no blood ties to the baby choose to keep the baby?

This has nothing to do with me, I just read a fiction story about it and wonder if it really is possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, I'm pretty sure she has to sign something before the whole procedure even begins.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• nope
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, it's not her child. She could go to jail if she tried to run with the baby.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Absolutely not. People who do that are wrong, and how selfish.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well, if she chooses to be a surrogate than she knows she will have to get the baby. And yes that woman does have blood ties to that baby. It's growing in her body. I think that if the biological parenst don't hae her sign the proper paperwork before the baby is born or before she gets pregnant, than yes she can say she wants to keep the baby. It's kinda the same thing as adoption...the birth mother can decide to keep the baby.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• In every case the bio-mom has at least 30, research it,I know there has to be at least a few cases,when surrogate moms wanted the baby.Do you really think as many as a million cases went that smooth without this issue.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• She can not. Anonymous, it doesn't have to go "smooth". She can choose to go to court. But i would love to see where a woman has won custody of a baby that has no genetic bond to her, that she was paid to carry for someone else. Show me the proof.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Now, for a traditional surro, I have heard of cases to where the mother , instead of signing over her rights, tries to keep the baby. Never heard of anyone winning.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No, not in this case. Plus surrogates usually sign a contract that is binding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Actually, they can change their mind and keep the baby. It has been done before.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 10, 2009