how do your feelings change toward your child as s/he gets older?

i am just always wondering how my relationship towards my son will change as he gets older and more independent. of course i know i will love him just as much but obviously our relationship will be different. i guess it's just hard to imagine my baby (well he's 2) ever being a 7 year old! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it is hard to imagine but you do infact fall futher and deeper in love. You start to see them as their own person and sometimes that is scary.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:32 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Wait until he's 12 and he starts going through puberty. My oldest is 12 and we have a great relationship I'm very honest and forth coming with him, which makes it easier for us to communicate.He knows DH and I are always here for him no matter how old he gets. Open and frequent communication is a key essential the rest comes along naturally. Enjoy him while he is still little :)
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Well, my boys are well past two....& seven!! They're 17, 20 & 27. You're right....you'll love them just as much as you did when they were small, I think even more. I love talking to them about what they are learning or doing. I love listening to their ideas, & sometimes I just look at them & think "Wow, did we really do that!!" or "What an amazing young man you've become." I remember when I was pregnant with my 2nd son trying to imagine what my boys would look like & think like. It's amazing to look up at your handsome grown sons & see who they're becoming. My oldest is an amazing artist, great with computers, my middle son is a talented musician, very responsible & so very charming, my youngest is 17 and a sophomore in college, a math whiz & talented writer. I could go on. Every step of the way, they amaze you & you learn things about them & yourself. I love every age, challenges & all.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:35 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I don't think that my feelings have changed exactly- my relationship with them changes. My oldest is seven and the relationship really changes from attending to basic physical care to more of a verbal teaching/emotional relationship. He doesn't need me to help him get dressed or pour his milk anymore, he needs me for homework and conversation and advice instead. The personality really comes out and you can see a lot of traits that are familiar- my ds is like me in terms of personality, he is really chatty and likes spooky/morbid stuff, whereas my 5 year old dd is a lot more like dh in that she is a lot more self-contained and doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve like ds does. You see more of what they could be like as adults- once the independance comes out you start being able to picture that more clearly. It's fun as they grow- you realize that they really are little people!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son just turned 8 in March and I have coddled him so much that sometimes I find what I have created is a mini monster. I love him deeper than ever and I feel this strong need to still protect him! I just have to learn how to let go of your baby. He is very immature for his age but he is also ADHD diagnosed since the age of almost 4. I know how annoying he can be for me so I don't allow him to do things that your typical 8 year olds do. he is always with me 24/7 and I think that he gets tired of me as much as I do him but I dont know of a solution that I can be comfortable with. But this is the way its always been. My BABY! Is Not Such A BABY but he sure does act the part anyway.....Small Nightmare!
    LissaLilly

Answer by LissaLilly at 1:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• OP here---thanks ladies! i'm glad i got moms with different aged kids to answer! it's just so hard to imagine like i said! having an 8 yo, or 20 yo! :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I know how you feel, my kidds are 7 and I can't imagine them getting any bigger. I have fallen in more love with them than before, but I get sad when thinking of them turning into teenagers. LOL
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well my son is seven. When he was a baby i gave in to him so much easier. As he has gotten older I have to be more strict. Ive learned that even though i want to SPOIL him horribly, Its really not in his best interest though and i know that.
    kids change as they get older. You have to change your discipline techniques.
    I can say though I LOVE to hear my sons ideas. He makes me laugh so much.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 6:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I still hold and cuddle my 7yr old like he was 7 months! .....when im putting him to bed. he is my baby and forever will be. The relationship is that you become prouder.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2009