Bloody noses with blood leaking through the eyes....

My son is almost 4 and has had bloody noses very often for as long as I can remember. He picks his nose and we live in a dry desert climate so no problem there. On Sunday though he had a bloody nose when he first woke up. I looked at him and he had blood running down his cheeks out of his eyes. I panicked and took him to the ER right away. I was thinking something serious was wrong but the doctor said it is normal and quite common for this to happen. It happened again today. So my question is has this happened to you or have you even heard of it? What do you do about it? Should I be concerned even though the ER dr told me not to be??

vanessabrown

Asked by vanessabrown at 10:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am sorry, I have never heard of such thing. I worked in ER and emergency situations for a long time, and have never seen anything like that. Sorry, that's not normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't take the word of an ER doctor. Make an appt with his pedi. ASAP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• It's normal, your eyes, nose, ears and throat are connected. But I could see how that would freak you out. You ever see that guy who could drink milk and spray it out of his tear ducts?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My little sister used to do that. It's not common, but it happens.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My husband asked me about the milk coming out of the tear ducts too..lol. I have never seen that.
    vanessabrown

Answer by vanessabrown at 10:40 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I hadn't heard of it, but it makes sense. There is a duct that runs from your eyes to your nasal passages called the nasolacrimal duct. Have you ever wondered why your nose runs when you cry or your eyes water? Fluid can flow either direction, so if crying can make your nose runny, it makes sense that blood could come out of your eyes. I know that when my kids have really bad colds, it can back up through the nasolacrimal duct and they will literally have snot coming out of their eyes. I know, gross... If the doctor said it's nothing to worry about, I think it's safe to go with his opinion here.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2009