Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can you move to a different state with your children?

i live in wisconisn and im wanting to move out of state with my kids they have different dads and there is custody in order an all that stuff and i want to know how move and take my kids with me and do it legaly?

Answer Question

Asked by angelnina8715 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 8 (255 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • You might have to actually go to court and have a judge rule it to be okay. My mom had to do that when we were younger to get permission for my sister (my dad didnt care).

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • You need to check with a lawyer, but most states do not allow this if there is already court ordered visitation set up. In order for you to move you'll either need to get written permission from BOTH fathers, or if they're not willing to give it you'll need to go in front of a judge and try and get it. However, if you have to go in front of a judge, you'll need a MUCH better reason than just because you want to. If you do eventually move, you will also likely be the one footing the cost for all travel for future visitation as you moved away.

    BUT - it all depends on your state laws.

    Answer by Jafra_mommy at 10:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • Your paperwork may allow for you to move without having to get permision from the other parent, I don't know so better to check with some one in your area with legal knowledge.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • I would think no,especially while you are in court. If, you need to move for housing and finance reasons, you may have to contact the courts. I want to move to another state for schooling reasons.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • I live in Wisconsin and my order states that I have to inform my ex, atleast 60 days before I want to move, by certified mail. He has the right to take me to court to stop me from going. It doesn't matter why I want to go. I can move 300 miles within Wisconsin without his permission. This is sad because he hasn't seen my son in 7 years and rarely the 6 before that. Check yuor paperwork and call the court or an attorney in your city to find out for sure. Don't just move.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • my main reason for wanting to move is to be closer to my family, my mom is there

    Answer by angelnina8715 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • so if i let both of them know in certified mail that i want to move and they dnt take me to court within those 60days i can move? what really happens if they take me to court because they dnt let me move?

    Answer by angelnina8715 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • They are your children's parents, too. If they decide to take you to court they can show they have been involved parents, paying child support and visiting on time and stuff, then the court CAN rule that you can't move. Its better to try and work it out before going to court over it.

    Answer by pagan_mama at 11:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • Do not move until you talk to a lawyer. Sending certified mail may not be enough for your situation. If it's not, you can actually get in a LOT of legal trouble for moving and taking the kids.

    And, IMO, being closer to your family is not as important as your children being close to their dads. You're an adult, you don't need your parents to take care of you more, your children do.

    Answer by Jafra_mommy at 11:51 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • You have to go through the courts to do this. They cannot stop you from moving if it means a better job, life for your children. But be careful, the emotional issue of taking your kids away from their dads can cause issues with them later.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.