• In the Spotlight:

How old was your toddler when they were able to drink from a normal cup and not a sippy cup?

My DD is 2 1/2, and can kinda sorta handle it but isn't really interested. She CAN, although she's not that good at it... but she spills it from carelessness as she tries to shove the cup back into my hand, asking me to put a sippy lid on it.
When should she drink from a normal cup?

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 10:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd drinks from a cup, she does spill while she is walkin if it is too full. So we just give it to her half full and she does amazing. She will be 2 next month
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:00 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• mine was drinking from one it around 18m. a normal cup that is
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• mine is 3 1/2 shes very active and constantly drinking. so unless its at a meal she has a sippy, otherwise she'll just plop a cup down anywhere and it spills. so mealtimes, and when i know she'll put a cup back into the kitchen (when i'm constantly keeping an eye out) is when she gets a big girl cup
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:03 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• my ds has been useing a normal cup since he was about a year and a half. it's easier if you make it half full, instead of all the way.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• At the daycare that I work at, at 2 we give them all small "normal" cups.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• we are working on it, my dd is 22 mos and can take a few drinks but then she gets excited and throws it all over the floor. She only gets water in cups!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My daughter has been drinking from a "big girl cup" with no spill issues or anything like that since she was about 14-15 months old
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• my son started using one as soon as he was off the bottle at 17 months old. he refused to use a sippy cup. But he knows with a "big-Boy cup" he has to sit down and can't run around with it. and never forget that kids learn stuff at their own pace and they will do stuff when they are ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2009