How do you/did you/have you "punish(ed)" your toddler?

Ok mamas, I really need some advice. I have a 2 and a half year old, and my goodness is she beginning to get quite the little attitude! I don't want to spank her because as a child I was spanked, a lot of times for things that I didn't deserve spankings for, by my dad, and to this day I still hold it against him. We have tried time out, and sometimes that works, but there are days that I feel like im loosing it!

What do you moms do when your little ones start acting up? Or for moms with older children, what did you do that worked for you?

I really appreciate any advice.

emmas_mama07

Asked by emmas_mama07 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Send her to her room; kinda the same as time out but not as structured and might catch her off guard. Tell her until she can be nice she can stay in there. And the very next time, even if it's not a big deal, she says something or acts a certain way, make her go back to her room. Keep repeating and i guarantee she gets tired of being there. Even if she spends a lot of time in there already, it will work. My son spends more time in his room than anywhere else and I did that routine with him when he was being mean and it worked. Also, I've explained to him that when he is happy I am happy but if he is mad then I will be mad/ meaning you'll get in trouble so stay happy or elselol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I was a full time live-in nanny of 4 for 5 years straight. We used the time-out method at that age. The kid that was acting out of line got sent to their room and was not allowed out until they shaped up. If the kid would come out and still act nasty I would just send them back to their room. Stay strong and don't give in. A lot of parents give in too easily and that's how we end up with spoiled rotten children on our hands. It's okay to say no to your kid and to take stuff away when they have crossed the line. It's a kid for pete's sake. They will forget and still love you the same as if you were spoiling them...
    Sorry i went off on my spoiled children tangent. Not saying your daughter is spoiled. I'm just saying if you don't nip the sassyness now then you will end up with a spoiled child.
    MaWolf

Answer by MaWolf at 11:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• ok first of all, you are not your dad. if you've tried time out and it doesn't work, a pop on the butt is not gonna leave her emotionally doomed forever. you, unlike your dad, knows when she has crossed the line and actually deserves a pop, and will not spank her if you don't seem it necessary.

for the first offense, you firmly tell her no, you don't want her doing that, and then you need to get down on her level and explain why. if she does it again, then do time out. IMO, the third offense means a pop on the butt. you can always try time outs a few more times before the butt pop.

I know what you're going through though, my ds is 2 1/2 now and OMG i'm going to go insane having to say things OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, lol. I have noticed though that he's been doing pretty well lately, especially if i do what i wrote above, only time i have problems is when he's tired and cranky, or sick. but that's expected.
    Anonymous

• Time outs worked sometimes. We also did seperation where he would go into his room with a baby gate and I would go in the kitchen where he couldnt see me, usually for 2-3 min. we had the best luck with water in a squirt bottle on the mist setting, hit him in the face with a poof of water and he stopped whatever he was doing, for a while at least.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:24 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My oldest will be 2 in a couple of months and he does not listen and likes to throw a temper tamtrum when he does not get his way. I don't believe in spanking either so i understand where you are coming from. When he starts that i put him in his room on the floor and walk away and when he is done he will walk out of his room and be just fine. That is all i do and it seems to work. When he starts back up i will tell him do you want to go back to your room and he stops crying and will start playing. Do the time out thing or what i do which i guess is kinda like a time out. Stay strong and it will work.
    olafsonmama

Answer by olafsonmama at 11:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Thanks mamas. But I have another question. When you send them to their room, are there certain rules in there room? If I sent my daughter to her room, I have a feeling she would just start playing with her toys and not realize it was punishment.
    emmas_mama07

Answer by emmas_mama07 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• we had the best luck with water in a squirt bottle on the mist setting, hit him in the face with a poof of water and he stopped whatever he was doing, for a while at least.

Like a cat? LOL I have done that to my nephew and he got really mad and just sat on the couch for 45 mins. staring at me (he is 3)
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My oldest will be 2 in a couple of months and he does not listen and likes to throw a temper tamtrum when he does not get his way.

you know what could also help, is after he's done with his tantrum, explain to him that you understand that he was man because of *whatever reason* this way, he doesn't just think you're ignoring him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I never had a problem with my son playing when I sent him to his room I think he was too upset over the fact he was in trouble and mommy was mad. BTW I'm anon 11:23 (my son loved his room but not when he was in trouble) I think it has alot to do with being told to do it instead of just being able to do if he wanted to...did that make sense? hope so. I didn't give a chance to explain to him the details(i already told him numerous times before what he was doing wrong; he knew) I just said go to your room if you are going to act that way you can come out when you are ready to be nice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

well, normally if they're mad, they won't even consider playing with the toys, they'll consider either just sitting/laying on the floor, or throw their toys. if your child is a thrower, take the toys out of the room. if not, then nothing to worry about, when she calms down, let her play with her toys. this way she'll be calm when you go in there and are able to talk to her in a more calm manor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009