I have heard this alot...Is it true?

I have heard alot of people say that adoptive couples only want healthy white newborn babies and that is why they wait so long to adopt. I've heard people say they quit on the hope of adoption and gave up because there were only babies of color(AA/Biracial/Latino) to adopt. I am not an adoptive mom or a birth mom or an adopted person. But, I don't get it. I'm not trying to start anything...really. I am just trying to understand since I have no tie to the adoption world. If you want a child very much, wouldn't you want any child...no matter what the color? And if you only want a caucasian baby, do you think that makes the waiting time longer? Please no bashing. I'm just trying to understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Adoption

• i think it might be bacause biracial kids have a harder time growing up.. it would be much easier for black parents to have a black baby or white parents a white baby.. just easier for everyone involved.. especially the child.. kids go through enough nowadays.. and everyone wants that perfect family..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Yep that's true for the most part couples only want nice pretty healthy white babies. It's beyond me too. I don't understand why they don't take other kids that otherwise wouldn't have a chance. All children are beautiful. I also think that it's mostly rich white couples that try to adopt because they're the only ones that can afford it. A friend of mind adopted a little boy from someone she knew and it cost her $40,000 in legal fees.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. From what I know, most of people really don't care what's the race of the baby. I know it's taking a longer time to adopt a baby from overseas comparing to adopt a baby here in the States. However, adoption takes a lot of paper work to go through back and forth, interviews and long wait... If it's easier, DH would let us to adopt one today.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:41 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I dont know why it is. I know a girl who put her son up for adoption though, and when the family came to get him, they handed her a check for $20,000 to go back to school with. She was really confused and they told her this was the THIRD child they had tried to adopt and the two previous girls had taken the money before they gave birth and then not handed over the baby. They just thought it was part of the cost of getting a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I dont know either. You should be able to adopt and love any child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Its definately not because of answer #1. Just because a family is one race, doesnt mean that its a perfect family. Children do face alot nowadays, but kids pick on each other about anything. Kids will always find something to pick on each other no matter what it is. Love is love. Yes, you should understand the different cultures and be able to incorporate it. But you don't have to be AA to adopt an AA baby. And I also don't think biracial children have a harder time growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think that is mostly a myth. There may be a few people who wait for "the perfect white baby", but the majority of us are open to a child of any ethnic background. I have known many adoptive parents, and most are open to other "races" and certain health challenges. Look at answer #2 - you usually get an answer like this from someone who is basically opposed to adoption. We would have welcomed a child from a different background. We just happened to get chosen both times by women with our same skin color. We did accept situations that we thought were kind of scary (less-than-optimal prenatal environments). We waited for the children God would bring into our family, not knowing or caring about the details.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:58 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• There are some adoptive parents who do have definite opinions on what kind of child they want to adopt, and some want a healthy child of a certain race and/or sex. Their opinions may or may not make sense. However, there are also many aparents who do want to give a home to a child that needs it no matter what their race. Adoptive parents are individuals with differing personalities, etc. They are not all the same.

I do not agree that only someone opposed to adoption would respond as the second poster did. It is not unreasonable to assume that given the high demand for healthy white babies, that there are many parents who do insist on adopting in that way. Thankfully, however, there are are many adoptive parents who are more open to adopting bi-racial and special needs children as well.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Over two years ago, when I first began researching adoption, I skimmed thru potential parent profiles....and they all specified that they wanted a caucasian infant. But I also know that this "trend" does seem to be fading. Yes, there are people out there who just want a specific race, but on that same note, there are thousands of waiting couples who would be happy with any baby, regardless of race, gender, or handicaps.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 2:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think it's true that most (not all) adoptive couples want newborns. I think that comes from the understandable fear that older children will have issues with being relinquished. But, if that were entirely true there wouldn't be so many wanting to adopt foreign children such as guatamalan or chinese children. Certainly, it is true that adopting a healthy white infant is more expensive and that AA women are not pressured as much as white women into giving their children up for adoption. There are also some people who are totally compelled to offer a home to a child that really needs one despite race or health. So, I guess my answer is there is some truth, but not entirely true.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2009