yeast infection in a 8 year old girl?

My daughter complained about feeling itchy feeling “down there” and I asked her about it. She thinks it might be a bug bite. Then she said it felt like it was inside. Could she have a yeast infection? Then this morning she said it was OK. I cannot get her in to see a doctor until Monday. So I wondered if a child this age can get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes - some girls are more prone to them than others - has she been changing her underwear every day? did she recently take a bubble bath with new/different soaps? has it been realy hot in your area? Is she just getting into a physical sport?

all of these are things you should run through your head - if yes is the answer to any of them she most likely has a yeast infection. i would check with a doctor on medication though because i am unsure how over the counter medication for a yeast infection would react with a young girl.

vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:24 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Of course she can, she is female, Best bet is No more baths until u get her checked out and give her some yogurt over the weekened...My 6 year old neice got one over the summer from hanging around in her wet bathing suit to long, its actually relatively common in little girls...
    GabeANnenasmOm

Answer by GabeANnenasmOm at 12:56 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Yes they can. Like the pp poster said -- sometimes it's from hanging out in a wet swimsuit. Some girls (and women) are just more prone to them. Me and my daughter are more prone to them and so she avoide bubble baths because they increase the chances. But do check with the doctor before treating it just to make sure.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:59 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Thanks! I started much later in life when I got my first, so thank you for the anwers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Mine dislikes yogurt, soy or otherwise. Anything else I can give her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• Would she eat the yogurt with granola in it. There are also yogurts available with m & m's,crumbled oreos & resses pieces. She may like that. My 8 yr old loves yogurt that way.

If the external itching is driving her crazy I believe you can use Vagasil cream. I just read the tube I have & it says you can use it from ages 2 and up.
    Fran72

Answer by Fran72 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 29, 2008

• go and get her the meds for it at walmart to see if that helps her dairy makes it worst too
    WORKINGMOMMY4

Answer by WORKINGMOMMY4 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 29, 2008