If your diliated and your water breaks..

I am already 3cm dilated at 33 weeks... When my water breaks is it going to be a huge gush? Or a trickle? Or does being dilated even matter?

ScEmz

Asked by ScEmz at 11:34 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it doesnt matter. it just depends on your body. i was 3 cm and they broke m water. it was kinda between the 2 extremes
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 11:36 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• i heard it can go either way
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No way to know. Depending on how many layers tear and where the leak is (high or low), you could see anything. Or maybe your water won't break at all~ some babies are born in the bag, intact.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• If you have a leak, it could be a trickle, but when it actually breaks it is like you are peeing yourself and can't stop.

I wouldn't be too worried about it though, something like 80% of women have their water break when they are in the hospital and it is broken for them. Don't quote my statistic, it's just what I vaguely remember from pregnancy books two years ago... My was broken for me when I was 7cm and in the hospital, and it was only broken to speed my labor up.

As long as your doctor isn't worried about your dilation you should be ok. I was dilated at 3 for a few weeks and it sucked. They won't admit you to the hospital until you're at 4... You have that constant "well how will I know if I dilate another cm?" feeling...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• When I went to the hospital i was 3cm and they admitted me.. but they let me go home at 32 weeks because i didnt dilate anymore and i needed to be home.
    ScEmz

Answer by ScEmz at 10:33 PM on Sep. 13, 2009