4 year old won't go to sleep alone

My daughter and 4 year old granddaughter live with me and my husband. My granddaughter will not go to sleep unless one of us sits in her room with her. If we try to leave before shes sleeping, she panics and cries. "No, Don't leave me! Stay in here!" If we stay she falls asleep fine. Then, around 1:00am she wakes up and goes in to sleep with her mom. She won't stay in her room. She seems genuinely afraid to be in her room alone. It's affecting her moms sleep. And, she acts that way during the day sometimes, too. She has a radio w/quite music, her little cuddle puppy, her overhead light in on a dimmer. My daughter just recently put a small TVn her room, too. Makes no difference.

Any suggestions? Forcing her to stay in there if she is truly frightened isn't an option.

Thanks~~~Mary

GabbysOma

Asked by GabbysOma at 11:42 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she give you any exact reason for why she is afraid? Could it be "monsters"? If so my MIL used "monster be gone" to help her youngest son (now 12). What she did when he was younger, was give him a air freshner can with "monster be gone" on it and everytime he got scared he was to spray it and it would keep them away. Also she would spray it once before she left the room. One day apparently he got so scared he used almost a whole can and they smell was in his room for days lol.. but it worked. So if you decided to use it get a scent that is not very strong. Good luck and I hope the poor girl gets over her fear.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My son used to do this and just grew out of it, I used to leave hall light on, then we gradually used bathroom light on, and now we use a small nightlight. Also, we put a portable dvd player on untill he fell asleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• my son is 2 and going throught the same thing.. he will not fall asleep in his bed by himself.. scared to death, but he will crawl into daddys bed and fall asleep no problem by himself.. not sure what to tell you to do.. i'm hoping its a phase.. just remember this too shall pass.. i remind myself that there will be a day that my son will not want me to be in his room let alone in his bed with him... this seems to help me deal with the lack of sleep...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Sep. 11, 2009