Does anyone have WIC and you or your DH is self-employed?

If so, how did the office go about seeing if you qualify? I only ask because this is what happened to me - My DH is self-employed (construction) but he only worked with this one contractor for the last 5 years. They pretty much filled each other calendars but the other guy brought all the big jobs and then gave DH a 1099 at the end of the year. Anyway, in April this other guy told DH that he no longer had work for him. DH didn't work for two months (except for a couple little jobs, basically nothing) until he found something else. He is still self-employed but in a better situation this time. So I go to my first wic appt. they go by our 2008 taxes, which is fine but also count my full income for the year even though I was quitting in a month because baby #3 was coming. This was in June. They said that didn't matter and we didn't qualify. Obviously we didn't, last year we didn't need help. The lady said that I (cont.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• could come back when I was done working and instead of our taxes bring copies of my husband's paychecks for the last six months. They would average them for the year and use that. So that is what I did. I went back in the last week of July. I was no longer working and I gave the girl (a different one this time) copies of DH's checks. She said since I had the ones from the last 30 days she could only use those and the rest didn't matter. I tried to explain that when you are self-employed, especially in construction, every week, month is different. She said it didn't matter, she had to use the last 30 days regardless. Again, I told her that July just happened to be a good month, June he had low pay weeks. She asked if Aug. would be bad. How would I know? Anyway, I was just wondering if how it worked for you, did they go by the last 30 days or do an average of last 6 months?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My brother was self employed when he and his wife applies for WIC and medicaid. They just lied about his income so they would be sure to qualify- so thanks for wanting to be honest, I really respect that.

I think they might look want to research some other things besides your 2008 taxes, because I know my brother claimed a lot of his taxes the year before they applied, but it seems like he had to fill out something else estimating how much he made during the current year.

GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• im not self employed but i do get wic the only thing they should be asking for is the last 30 days in ur situation i would wait intill a bad month and take in those paystubs and show them those ones u only have to report u income i believe like once a year so make ur appt based on when ur haveing a bad month u can probably figuire on average wich months they r by now
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• ya thats cool that you were honest..if you work under the table nobody will ever know and some many people lie.you can do it for welfare also.i see it all the time.girls at work getting pregnant and not getting married so they can keep collecting and saying i dont know where the father is..
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My husband's pay is the same every month, he's salaried. So when we were on WIC it didn't matter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009