what is the best birth control

The nurses that make house visits keep asking me have i thought of which form of birth control i will be using after i have the baby i have no idea which to pick

i've never taken birth control and this is my first pregnancy...i know one you have a baby your chances are higher to get pregnant again

so i figured you guys can help me with picking the best one and which one has the worst side effects

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i prefer the IUD. i was on the pill, using condoms and still got pregnant and i never missed a pill. i had thwe mirena iud, which overall wasnt bad, but i had worse side effects than the pill. after my next baby i will get the paragaurd IUD, it doesnt use hormones. the iud is nice bc is is long term, but not permanent, and I cant mess it upp, lol.

but everyone is different. you should definately talk to your doctor. goo luck!
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 11:50 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I personally love the pill. I have weird allergies and sensitive skin and get rashes and irritation easily, which I found out after having the Mirena IUD placed after having my daughter last year. Plus, that thing was constantly scratching the inner walls of my vagina and the sides of my husband's penis (obviously the latter was only during sex). It made my cramps even worse than they had been before (and my cramps pre-baby put my labor to shame, which I went through without drugs) and I had crazy bleeding with it (bled for about 2 months straight then nothing for 6 more months or 7). After that, I knew that I wouldn't be able to have something like the NuvaRing (because I may be allergic to that material, too) and I didn't want the shot, either. The NuvaRing, shot and Mirena all have the same hormone, if I'm not mistaken, so if I'd been allergic to the hormone I would have had problems from any of those. That left the pill.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• CONTINUED:

I'd been on the pill before, so I knew how I did with it (I'm on the same kind now as I was before).

But honestly, it's up to you. You may have to experiment, since you haven't had anything before. Look into different options and see what seems to be most fitting for you. Ask your doctor or midwife questions about different birth control options, too.

The Mirena and copper IUD are good for 5 years (though the copper may be good longer, now, I remember reading something about that). The pill is taken daily, at about the same time. The shot is monthly, I think. The NuvaRing, if I'm not mistaken, is also monthly. The patch is weekly.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I would say paragaurd is the one I had the least issues with, but even that came part of the way out (btw, DO NOT remove it by yourself, no matter how much it hurts, its gonna hurt worse when you pull it out) The dr put another one in for me no problem, and told me it does happen from time to time. my sister has had really good luck with a diaphragm but i don't know if they even give those out anymore (shes 40, used since 22 and NEVER had a problem). All of the pills but the mini made my depression worse and the mini failed me.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Here are some links:

Pregnancy and Baby

Baby Center.com

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Research different kinds on your own. Find out the possible side effects. So many people start one and it turns out they didn't look at what the possible side effects were and end up suffering for many of them.

IUDs in particular have many extreme side effects including: eptopic pregnancy, hypothermia, and even some cases where the IUD moved from the uterus into the stomach (happened to my best friend, and when they found out her dr. was like "Oh, this is the 2nd time I've seen this, that's weird")

I would strongly suggest doing your own research and see what you feel the most comfortable with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Asking someone which form of birth control is best is like asking what is the best type of sandwich. One person will say grilled cheese, someone else might say PB&J, it is all a matter of the person's own lifestyle and preference. I strongly suggest you do some research of your own AND talk to your OB about it. Your OB will have a ton of information that I guarantee will be better than any input you can get from us on Cafemom. S/He knows your lifestyle and can alert you to side effects that can happen in someone with your personal medical history.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2009