Question for Non-Vaxing (ok im a horrible speller sorry) mothers

I have a question for the mothers who choose not to vaccinate. What do you do when it comes time for them to start kindergarden or any school that requires immunization records? Or if they have to go the doctor or emergency room, what do you tell them? I ask because although we have done some shots with our 2 year old, we are due with a son soon and I am beginning to think that vaxing our daughter wasn't the best choice, and maybe our son shouldn't be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is no law that requires vaccines in any state. There are exemptions for every one of them. As for the ER I simply tell them we don't vax. It's that easy. Some will ask why, most wont. It's becoming more and more common and they are used to it. Check out the Choosing Not to Vaccinate for information and help! Or you can PM me if you would like!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:31 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• you can get out of the school thing, religious beliefs a bunch of things, and i decided to not vax my dd until 2 because she got sick from them when she was a couple months, so we delayed, when i took her to the er they asked about it and i explain to them why i dont do it, shes 2 now, and we got an appt this week, but shes only getting one at a time. . . cause she was getting really sick like flu like symptoms when she got them before. and fevers that went above 103 so we delayed but you can get out of it and i just explain to the er
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• you dont have to vaccinate for them to go to public school. there are many non vaxing groups here on CM that could help you a lot!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:22 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• The thing to remember is that it is not a law to vaccinate your children. It's simply recommended. My computer is all screwy right now, otherwise i'd give you the link to exemptions so you can check which one your state allows, but I can't :( Join an anti-vax group here on CM, and you'll find a plethora of information!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:26 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies!

_OP_
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• It's pretty horrible to not vaccinate your children just because you have these new-age beliefs with no factual basis. Way to go risking your childrens lives bc of some crazy idea you have, moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Wow Anon 11:49, that was totally uncalled for. Im asking because I have questions. So if you could please get off of your high horse, and take your drama somwhere else. Thank you

_OP_
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Join the group Choosing Not to Vaccinate and you will get tons of info there. There are moms in the group that still vax selectively as well. As for schooling, just get an exemption. Go here and see what your state has www.vaclib.org

As for the comment about it being horrible to not vax, maybe I think the same about you for vaxing... Take your drama elsewhere, your answer had NOTHING to do with the OP's question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• You do not HAVE to vax your child. YOU are the parent, and you make the medical decisions for your child/children. Every state has a medical exemption, 48 states (all but MS &WV) have religious exemptions, and 18 states have philosophical exemptions (view state info here).

Anon :49, there is plenty of fact to support non-vaxing. Take your misery elsewhere.

emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:41 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• There are groups on here about non-vaxing you might want to check into those. As for schools, my kids schools send out immunization forms and at the bottom there are exemptions (medical, religious) where you can check 'not vax' and sign off on it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:48 AM on Sep. 11, 2009