Can you file taxes jointly but not married?

I have a question for anyone who knows anything about taxes. Can my fiance and I file our taxes as "joint" if we aren't married? I really don't know much about taxes. We do have 2 kids together, and we have lived together for almost 3 years if that makes a difference.. thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• No, you cannot, an I worked for a tax place. You have to be married in order to file jointly, it doesnt matter if you have lived together for 10 yrs and have 8 kids, you still cant file joint. You also may be missing out on pretty good tax breaks other wise too, but thats a whole different subject. You should just go ahead and get married if you've already been together that long and have kids :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:06 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yes, tell them thats what you want to do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• you may also want to ask them if they can tell you which way you'll get more/owe less. b/c it may make more sense for you to claim the kids over him or vice versa. my gf and her fiance, he works shes in school they have 2 kids, and they get more if he claims them instead of her. (we actually just talked about this, this year b/c they found someone who would sit and show them what they would get in all scenarios)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• No you can't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• One of you can carry the other as a dependent so long as the one being claimed as the dependent didn't work for at least 6 months out of the year, and lived with the one claiming head of household.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• No you can't and there's no tax benefit for you to do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2009