Will you give your kids the swine flu vaccine?

I am PRO vac, but on this one, I'm undecided. I hav heard things from both sides. My concern is that they came up with this only in the last few months, how could they possibly know the long term effects? I f any. Also, heard that it has a high mercury count responsible for Autism in some children. But others say no. Who are we supposed to believe.
I am also concerned because there has been a large increase in the amount of people in the area that h1n1, specifically, kids, and large out breaks in schools. Not my daughters school though, yet. Swine flu is to be very dangerous in young children, and I hav a 3year old and a 3 month old(and the 3 year old just started preschool! germs,germs,germs.) I don't know what to do. I do not want to subject my children to autism, but I also don't want them to get terribly sick.

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 12:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Health

• I am pro vac as well but I just don't feel comfortable with the swine flu vac either. I am also worried about the long term effects. Look at all the things that are coming up with the Gardasil vac. Its all really scary and it is hard to make a decision when it concerns your childrens health
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/24/us.swine.flu.projections/index.html#cnnSTCText
    my son is 3 and a half months old and im FREAKING OUT about swine flu. im currently in college and they say its going around the colleges now too. ive been having nightmares about swine flu every night and its driving me crazy. im so scared im going to get it, and give it to my son, and hes gonna die. i dont know what to do. i dont want to give him the vaccine either because they made a swine flu vaccine in the 70's, they rused it, and it killed people & paralyzed them.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:15 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• rushed*
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• what?
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• for sure rushed
    madsmom314

• i feel the same way. my husband has to have the vax, he's navy so no choice in it. but i don't know that i want to give it to my kids, one is 3 months the other is 3 1/2. so they are constantly exposed to things (the 3 yr old playing and bringing stuff home, and i have a 17 yr old brother who is a senior in high school that they see at least once a week). so i'm nervous about it, we actually were just talking about this tonight and don't know what we are going to do yet.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'm kinda freakin' out...
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I am pro vac but when it comes to the flu shot then heck no. A lot of time that people gets the flu shot they get sick with the flu..so if they get sick with the flu after taking the flu shot why would I give my kids the swine flu vaccine? I would be putting a live virus in my kids and I dont want that. It is unnecessary in my opinion and my kids wont be getting it...nor will I unless my work makes me.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 12:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• nope.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:12 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I haven't decided. My youngest dd (2 1/2) and I just came down with a sinus infection this week - from where? I have NO clue. Nobody else I know that we have come into contact with has it. I homeschool the girls, so they haven't been around others who could have something. DS and DH are fine and they are around people. Go figure. This dd had two other serious viral infections earlier this year that woried me seriously. With the first bout, she had a 104.5 temp - and the doctor wasn't concerned. :-S Nobody else in our family came down with it.
    I do always get flu vaccines because even if I get the flu, it's usually nowhere near as bad as if I don't get the vaccine. The shots have dead viruses. The inhaled ones have live viruses. I go for shots. :-) As for the swine flu, I don't mind getting it myself and for dh and ds, but I'm not keen on giving my young children something just because...
    hsmom2004

Answer by hsmom2004 at 2:35 AM on Sep. 11, 2009