where are some good places to start learning about the bible?

Somehow, by never talking about it, never reading it, never taking me to church, and ignoring it completely, except for grace every night before dinner, my parents feel they raise me to be Christian. Now I have a child of my own and want them to grow up with some sort of belief set. Not sure if Christianity is for me, but I need a place to start.

auroura

Asked by auroura at 12:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are several things you can do. You can go to church, read a bible (they have ones that aren't that complicated) and if you have any friends or family that are religious you can talk to them. The important thing is to not get overwhelmed. Just take your time and pray as you go! Good luck girl!

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:23 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i am new to all this christianity stuff too.. i have a 2 yr old and want him to be raised the right way, so i joined a church started going to womens bible studies jpined a MOPS group and i am loving every bit of it.. i am learning so much and i feel so much better.. my relationship with my hubby is even better.. as far as me teaching my son alot about God.. that's not for me just yet.. i don't know enough yet, but my son goes to sunday school too, so we will all be learning together as a family.. it's a great experience i hope you give it a shot! Good luck..
    RykersMom07

Answer by RykersMom07 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yeah, don't get overwhelmed cause it's alot at first and you feel like you have to learn everything and make sure you are doing everything the right way.. well i did at first , but i have slowed down and i am tyring to just take it one day at a time..
    RykersMom07

Answer by RykersMom07 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I would start by reading the bible and getting an understanding for it and seeing how you accept it and look for a church. Set up meetings with pastures to ask about whatever you don't understand; thats what i did and it really helped.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:33 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Also, I have a children's bible story book that I read to my 3yr old every night and he absolutely loves it and I feel food because I'm am teaching him what I wasn't taught.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:34 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• buy some vegetale's dvd for you child..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I have a bible that has a 52 week bible study guide in it. Maybe you should look into getting on of those.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• This may sound silly - but read childrens Bible stories - that will give you a foundation of the major stories in the Bible. I assume you have a Bible, I suggest you also get a Reference book (I use Thompson Chain Reference) - You'll want to be able to cross reference scripture and interpretations. Prayer and meditation is a major key - start with prayer, incorporate study, meditate on what you read and ask God to guide you. I promise, if you ask God to get to know Him better - He WILL open Himself up to you and you will be learning at a rate you can't imagine right now. Be encouraged - God loves the kind of desire you have = almost like a child's desire. He will bless you for your humble and sincere yearning for knowledge.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Veggie Tales is a great place to start. Its very simple, really fun, and most importantly they really follow the story from the Bible. We even have a Veggie Tales bible.

Also, praying is an awesome way to get to know God. Ask Him what you should do in your every day life. He cares about all the little things.

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel is a good to read. You could try going to a local Christian book store and ask for some recommended books.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 6:05 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Whatever happen to opening the Bible and reading it? I mean that's possibly the best way to start...I know that sounds insane because omigosh how can I possible read that with 2137128738912 other things I am doing but really if you want to find your religion or learn the Bible, uh, reading it really seems the most logical.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:14 AM on Sep. 11, 2009