If at all, How long?

DH thinks its ok to leave our apartment to smoke a cig outside, even if he is the only one home with DS who is only 3. He only goes down to the corner of the building but it really bothers me. Is he right? Should I worry? He usually only does it when DS is asleep but sometimes I think he does it during the day as well. It has me worried to the point I don't want to leave our son with him.

auroura

Asked by auroura at 12:46 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is wrong, you should worry. That is just so fucked up. I could see if he was on the porch or something but to actually leave the building? THATS NUTS.

WTF is wrong with men lately??
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:49 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Not safe and you should be concerned
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i was a smoker and i would go outside on the back porch and i smoked like a freight train, so i was outside alot..when my son started to crawl he would crawl to our back door and i could see him through the glass, but before then i could not see him.. parents cannot watch their kids 24/7 i mean if you are making the bed something could happen, if you are washing dishes something could happen.. yeah you are going to feel 10 times worse about it if you were outside smoking when that something happened , but you know, what do you do.. i quit smoking when my son would stand at the back door crying for me to come back inside.. i still miss it, but he was just so sad and it was selfish of me to take his mommy away from him..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• ok, the building has big long balconies running across the front of them, he just doesnt like to smoke there because it might blow in a neighbors window, he can see the door from where he is standing, but it still drives me nuts!
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:53 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• i think it's better than him smoking in the house... with the child... you should give him props for that.. he could be smoking around your child.. so what do you do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• let him smoke.. it's not gonna kill the kid to be by itself for 3 minutes.. and that is how long it really takes to smoke fast.. about 5 minutes if you are injoying it.. if he can see the door, i mean come on..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Its not ok,,your son might wake up and God forbid something happens to him..you both will feel very guilty, and not only that..what if he is leaving him alone while he's awake..kids get into everything..could be your kitchen drawers where the knifes are, could turn on the stove..etc..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Sure he can see the door but he cant see through walls. If doesnt take very long for a 3yr old to get themselves into trouble and anyone with a toddler would know that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I'd say its ok, IF he used a baby monitor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Your husband should worry more about your 3 yr old than the neighbors. If the neighbors don't like the smoke, they can close the window. You have every right to be concerned. I hate the thought of my baby waking up and not seeing any around. Put your foot down and tell him to smoke on the balcony not around the corner of the bulding. It only takes a second for something to happen. I thnk maybe your husband smokes arond the corner make it a way for him to unwind and take a breather from being inside all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2009