my cat had 4 kittens yesterday they seemed so healthy why do you think 2 died the next day?

I noticed the momma cat didn't cut there umbilical cord only of one of them but one of the ones attached with the other kittens and the umbilical connected died and also another one that the momma cat did detach the umbilical so it couldnt have been that right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pets

• Honestly only a vet could tell you. You do need to have the mom cat checked out though, because there may have been complications when she gave birth, and get the kittens checked out too. Also, please get her spayed; pet overpopulation is a huge problem and if she keeps getting pregnant and having kittens, you're only contributing to the problem!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:40 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Yeah I agree with SarahLeeMorgan. there are so many reasons for kittens to just pass away like that. Including no reason at all. Called Fading Kitten Syndrome. I do agree that you should consider getting her fixed now. Keep in mind a cat can get preggers again wile she is still nursing kittens.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I don't think it has anything to do with the cord. I would check your momma cats nipples to make sure she is producing milk. Just do a "gentle" down ward squeeze and see if you can get milk to come out. You can also check to see if her breasts are enlarged, if yes they she probably has milk.

I would take the mother and kitties to the vet for a check up just to make sure they are healthy.
    Schaleese

Answer by Schaleese at 10:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2009