I'm preggers and my cat brings me offerings, any idea as to why?

So we have a cat that loves to raid the sock drawer, and scatter them all over the house for no apparent reason. But lately he has been bringing socks to me some mornings when I'm asleep and whining and seemingly "offering" them to me. Any ideas why? Do cats have nesting instincts at all? Is it related to my being pregnant?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 3:59 AM on Sep. 11, 2009 in Pets

• well cats have the natural instainct to hide things now and get them later, like my cat and his toy mouse...he hides it when he's not using it, i know where he hides it but i let him have his fun
    she may be offering them to you to help you, like hey i kept these so you can use them later type thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Well yes and no. Your cat may love you so much that he is trying to get your attention. Others feel like they have to claim you.....case in point, A cat I had a few years ago decided he would jump on me, "massage me" you know how cats do that and then he proceeded to pee on me. Your kitty is just being a cat! They are strange animals and I love the cat I have now. He is smart and learned how to potty train himself all on his own! Yes he pees in the toilet but unfortunetly poops in the shower but that makes an easier clean-up. Your cat is just trying to let you know that they know how to be loving and giving. My cat brings dead birds to my doorstep in the spring time. It is just a sign of love.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 4:20 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• yep its an offering...a sign of love...i had a cat sprite growing up who was about as dumb as he could be...he was too lazy to catch mice...i remember once my mom and i finding a mouse running around and using a broom shuffled it toward sprite who was on the stairs....the mouse ran down the stairs, SMACKED into the cats face, and kept going...sprite never even got up...but then a few years later he started leaving me dead mice outside my bedroom door...the wierd thing about them was they werent chewed up..they were whole..never figured out how he killed them...maybe played with them and frightened them to death? all i know is stepping on a dead mouse when you wake up in the morning isnt fun.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:57 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I guess she is showing you what a 'mighty hunter' she is-- lol. My cat Sassy likes to get into my sock bin and take out my rolled up socks. She has a few favorite pair that she pilfers and tosses around. It is kind of funny to watch her toss them up and chase them. She used to love my son's baby socks (rolled up into sock balls) and I would find them all over. Sometimes when I would have an odd one I would tie it off and toss it to her to keep as a plaything.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:04 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• Your cat may also know you are pg. Your hormones have changed and you have a different chemical smell now and I am SURE your cat can smell this. Cats are a lot smarter then we give them credit for. Your kitty could be offering you a chance to play, maybe offering the socks to make your "nest", and since cats have incredible hearing........... maybe your cat can hear your baby move. I am glad to hear it is just socks and not the mouse running from outside.
    Schaleese

Answer by Schaleese at 10:16 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• My cat brings clothing "offerings" when she misses us. When hubby is at work she will grab one of his socks and drag it down the hall. When we are all gone she will grab something of mine ( I think that means I'm the most important :-D). If DS forgets to close his door before going to school she will drag his stuffed puppy off the bed and down the hall. So we find clothes in the hall all the time. Strangly, nothing from DD, maybe she doesn't like her as much. When I was preggers kitty thought I was hungry and would bring me lovely treats to the door, and If I wasn't paying attention, into the house. Ewwww! Ewwww! Ewwww! I always take it as a sign of affection and then, for those things that were once alive, I grab the rubber gloves and give it a great big toss. Then I desperately hope she won't find it and bring it back.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:45 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• my cat does this, i will find a trail from our room to the living room of socks,lol. i found on the internet awhile ago that they want attention or sorta like seperation anxiety. this cat is really attatched to me and whenever she drags those socks out all she wants is attention.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:36 AM on Sep. 11, 2009

• I think cats know when a woman is pregnant. When I was in labor with my son my cat Shadow who I've had for 8 years now, sat by me nonstop. Everytime I adjusted my position, so did she. My hub said he wouldn't have believed it if he hadn't seen it for himself. It's also our joke that if I was ever stranded without any food, the one "person" I'd want there would be my Shadow. Whenever I would let her outside she would always bring me back something to "eat". I'm not sure what the socks mean but I think it's cute!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2009